DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While messing around helping my girl do some research on making her own CAI for her 2002 focus she stumbled on some guys mentioning that pvc when exposed to underhood temps will react and create chlorine gas amongst others which will be obviously sucked into the engine since its used as an intake.
1- is this true?
2- what if any, damage could this cause to our engines?
3- anyone with a pvc intake notice any problems that could be related?

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
1. It depends on underhood temperature.
2. Chlorine will react with aluminum. I doubt enough gas could be off gassed from a CAI made of PVC pipe.
3. Haven't used it but I did modify a CAI from a later model van for my own... It would be best to use materials that are used by the factory.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
I looked into this several years ago... its only toxic in a VAPOR/liquid form. Even then when working around it those who are exposed to this gas are recomended to seek fresh air.... Not medical attention.

In a nut shell, your underhood temps are unlikley going to get hot enough to melt the tube. Your engine would need to be on fire before it became in issue... and at that point there will be LOTS of stuff burning that would be bad for your health should you inhail the vapors... So basically, I would not even worry about it... its toxic in liquid form which is when the vapors are present. The only time you need to worry is if your around mealting PVC.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
I was gonna say that there's been people building homebrew intakes for how many year's now without any death's or illness caused by them. You know how many people would be looking for intakes if this were true. :crazy:

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny thing is, i was really asking if it would damage my engine - not me lol.
I know chlorine gas is deadly to humans but it didnt even register, i havent been playin with a full deck lately tho.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
lol..your considerate for your truck

·
MUDDY AFFAIR
947 Posts
I ran an intake made of pvc for over a year and never had any problems... just don't inhale the exhaust....

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Theirs not enough of the mix to cause internal damage. It will be burned at the compresion stoke. The gas is inside the intake for milliseconds, theirs not enough gas volume in the system to affect/speed degridation.
Don't worry!

·
Registered
43 Posts
most i have seen use ABS pipe not PVC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.