DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ram It
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put new shocks on all 4 wheels this weekend, and surprisingly it still has the original shocks on them....with 131,800 miles...wow. and rides much better now. well when installing i noticed that i have a 5th shock? between my front two wheels on the axle.....what is this for? and do i need to replace this aswell since im sure its original like the 4 shocks were....when i hit a pot hole or a large bump sometimes it darts hard to the right or left....could this be that middle shock? or stablilizer or whatever it is???? thanks for any help..

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
are you talking about the shock looking thing that is sideways across the front of the axle? if so then i believe that is the stabilizer but i am not positive. You may want to go ahead and change that one while oyur at it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
steering dampener or stabilizer its the same thing. it help the wheels from moving side to side(oscelating) on 4 wheel drive vehicles and high caster vehicles. change it and i bet your handleing inproves and it rides smoother

·
Ram It
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm i wonder if there cheaper or more expensive than regular shocks....i might do that as im sure its original like the shocks were. i put factory 20's on a 98 ram 4x4 so im sure that doesn't help the ride quality either... :(

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
Rancho makes a good steering stabalizer for the Dodges and it's about $40.00 at any off road store.

·
Ram It
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i just called the cheapest place in town Autozone and they want $72.99 for a replacement shock stabilizer. Wow...now the question is do i need to replace this or is it good for the life of the truck? how do i know if its worn out or not? I replaced all 4 shocks but not this one. Is it going to drive as good as its going to get or does this stabilizer shock make that much of a difference. It better for the price of it.

·
Ram It
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE...i called NAPA and there $38.00 there. So Autozone must be smoking crack or something...anyways will this still help a bunch or not worth the trouble. Are they hard to change out?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Who makes the parts? The higher priced one sounds like it may be Moog, which is well worth it because you won't have to change it again...careful with cheapies, you may end up replacing it again in 20k miles!

·
What a ride...
1,215 Posts
The one from Napa is probably just fine. My dad replaced his last time he was out to visit us and it drove much nicer with the new one on there. Like your his had about 90,000 on it. That one works much like a shock and like shocks will just get softer over time. If it were me I would replace it.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
may as well replace it seeing how you replaced all the shocks on it. I am sure it will not hurt anything. if anything it should help out alot.

·
Ram It
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i replaced it last night and could tell a little difference, but i guess its just nice to know that its all new now anyways. Doesn't drive or ride to bad now. I would say it would ride alot better with the stock 16" wheels back on it instead of these factory 20's and goodyears.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The steering stabilizer is there to dampen movement in the steering components. Many feel is it is a band-aid to mask worn front end parts, specifically the ball joints and track bar. Thurenfab track bar owners claim the stabilizer is no longer needed with fresh front-end parts.
BTW. if you do chang yours, it will probably take some effort to get the original one off. I changed mine 2 years ago at 90K miles and it was a SOB to move off of the mounting stud. its hard to get any leverage or a good angle to hit it when working without a lift. I hope your part changes better than mine did.
Dave

·
Ram It
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i don't know what kind of setup some of you have but mine was like a 10 minute job, i took a bolt out of each end, the new shock went right back in place and wallah! done. no beating or studs or anything like that....what am i missing here?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.