DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Milkman
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to putting some 2500 Tow Hooks that I bought off a DT member on my truck yesterday. Took about 4 hours. I went by ggravant's thread as reference and it went pretty much as he explained. Drilling the 3 new holes into the plates where the hook mounts was pretty easy except for the one that was real close to an existing hole. A round file made that much simpler than trying to finish it with the bit. Hardest part was drilling the new holes in the backets to match up to the bumper bracket holes. Just had to measure alot to get it right. Still had to use the fill to get them just right. I used my utility knife and cut holes in the bumper insert. The holes arendt as clean as Id like but cant really see em anyway. The hooks seem real solid, cant wait to test em out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Looks good. Why not use the one piece tow hooks. Those fit with no hole drilling I think?

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
Turned out pretty good.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
Those 2500 tow hooks are alot stronger. I snapped the one piece hooks off of my truck when I got stuck.

·
Registered
570 Posts
So the M style tow hooks are the way to go?

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
I would definitely say so. They are an enclosed hook, so they are alot tougher. Those open hooks sounded like a large stick breaking when mine went. I was sitting on the frame when I got stuck.

·
Milkman
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with the M's for several reasons. First I think they look better. Second they are much stronger in how they mount and how they are made being a closed hook. Sure it takes some drilling and cutting, but who wants to just bolt something on. :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks. I will search for some 2500/3500 hooks then

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Looks great WideOpen - I had similar issues with the new holes being near existing holes, having to file and tweak, but I agree that they are beefy - especially with those extra mounting brackets - enjoy!

·
Milkman
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man. I came inside and read threw your thread and looked at your pics several times. Came in handy.:tup:

·
Official HK Nut
1,109 Posts
Looks great!!!

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
Those 2500 tow hooks are alot stronger. I snapped the one piece hooks off of my truck when I got stuck.
:huh:

:ugh

:dunno::bs:

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I would have gone with the M's if I didnt need to drill. At the time I wasnt a fan of having to moddify something to make it work.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
:huh:

:ugh

:dunno::bs:

Hey tinker bell, were you there?? They are toast. I had a dodge 2500 cummins on 35's snatching on me to get me out and broke the hooks.

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
No, I was not there.. but I had two 2500's, both on 37" tires yank me out with my 1500 tow hook and it just did fine..

Are you talking about the 1500 tow bar? The single hook one?

I just find it hard to believe that bar would have broke. I have one sitting in my garage right now..

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
The bar didn't break, the hook snapped right were it curved.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
I was standing on the rear tires bouncing them. I was on the frame. He orginally hooked up, dropped 4 lo, got tension and tried to pull. Nothing. He put about a foot of slack, and jerked, nothing. He dropped about 2-3 feet of slack and snatched. Thats when I started to move. He hit me 3 times like that and snap. Hooked it to the other side. Got two hits and it broke. We were using a tank chain. I had to unbolt the bar from the truck so that we could run the chain through the opening to the frame. By that time a back hoe finally showed up and pulled me out. I will never use a chain for that again.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Just to clear some stuff up on the HD tow hooks.

unless you get the support brackets to go with the HD tow hooks they actually have less strength than the 1500 ones.

sure the hooks themselves are stronger but youve got a much higher chance of ripping them completly off the bumper unless you have the support behind it. the brackets run about 150 a side i believe.

I found it at one point and i need to save it but the HD tow hooks are rated at like 10k on a 2500. but without the support brackets it takes them down to 3500 lbs.

the 1500 tow bar is rated at 5500 lbs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When ever you buy the M stlye hooks the brackets usually come with it
Ebay from 120.00-200.00
craigslist
Dealership 180.00

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.