DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody explain the purpose of the cab vents in the QC's? I'm thinking of covering them up. If I covered them do you think it would quiet down the cab from exhaust noise or would I be wasting my time?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two air vents in the rear of the cab right behind the rear seat. But I don't know their function.

·
Registered
25,358 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't think they are open all the time. When you slam the doors shut, the air needs a place to escape. So the air forces them to open till the air is equalized. A little flap that only lets air out not in. When the a/c is on, it creates a positive pressure and needs somewhere to escape. Otherwise your cab would just blow up like a ballon till it popped. I don't know about you guys, but I won't want my cab to explode like that. CALL ME CRAZY!

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
BrandonSC said:
I don't think they are open all the time. When you slam the doors shut, the air needs a place to escape. So the air forces them to open till the air is equalized. A little flap that only lets air out not in. When the a/c is on, it creates a positive pressure and needs somewhere to escape. CALL ME CRAZY!
ok Crazy!!! :crazy: :D well that would make sence I guess any other input on this would be great :help:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brandon, I'm not sure but I thought they are fixed open. Also, I wouldn't see the air cond. building up enough pressuse to explode anything. I don't remember if the 97 reg cab that I sold had vents, I wish I could look at it again.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Remember when the automakers started advertising "Flow-Thru Ventilation" back in the mid-70's? That's where those vents come from. Every car made now has vents like this somewhere in it's body. Even if you shut down your HVAC, the fan will still run at a very reduced speed to keep fresh air running through the cab. If you were to close these off, I have an idea that you'd be more likely to have a problem with interior condensation. It'd probably be a bigger problem than the possibility of blowing your windows out (I'm not too sure that'd ever happen really).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to try covering up the pass. side vent since it's right over the muffler, and leave the driver side vent alone.

·
Victims arent we all
1,826 Posts
your ears would pop, everytime u slammed the doors, and if 2 people got off of the vehicle one driver one passenger the doors would not shut at the same time ,one would one shut and push the other out cause of the pressure the cab builds up

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
RamLion said:
your ears would pop, everytime u slammed the doors, and if 2 people got off of the vehicle one driver one passenger the doors would not shut at the same time ,one would one shut and push the other out cause of the pressure the cab builds up
Yeah, thats what I was trying to explain. I think you did a better job.

·
Registered
187 Posts
my damn vents leak when ever it rain how did you remove your rear seat i need to do the same and seal the area around them so the *******s dont leak help mme out on this one please

·
Registered
187 Posts
well when it rains and i park the front of the cab up the hill i live on i get water seepage in that little cubbie and it is coming from right where the vent is. the funny thing is when i park the front end facing down the hill i dont get the leak because the water from the roof is forced to go down the windshield and not the back window

·
Registered
8 Posts
I discovered the same thing when I pulled the rear seat out to install sound proofing material by B-Quiet.com. http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html Best rated product. Test better than dynamat for about half the price. I too am tired of the exhaust noise and drone within the cab. The magnaflow muffler is just below the vent on the passenger side. Any luck with closing one and leaving the other open? I may try to install the material without closing the vent and see how well it works.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I closed up the driver side vent. It quited it down just a little bit. Not too sure it was worth the trouble though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think there stay closed all the time and open with postive pressure. turn on the A/C roll up the windows shut the doors and stand near the vents and you will hear the air start to come out of them

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.