DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumping out torque converter

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mazz 
#1 ·
Does anyone have instructions on how to empty all the fluid out of the torque converter..I had some vague ones mentioned before, but wanna make sure I do it right.
Also, do the filters in the trans need to be replaced, and if so, at what mileage?

#2 ·
When I worked at a performance transmission shop, for flushing out convertors we would drill a .339" hole (letter "R" drill) on the outer diamater of the convertor, then flush mineral spirits into the neck of the convertor until all of the old trans fluid was flushed and there was just pure mineral spirits coming out of the drilled hole. Then flush the mineral spirits out with new trans fluid in the same manner, until you get pure clean trans fluid coming out of the drilled hole. To plug the drilled hole, use a 1/8th-27 tapered pipe tap to thread the hole, being careful to not taper open the whole too much and careful not to allow any metal shavings into the convertor. Then plug the hole with a 1/8th-27 pipe plug. This method was used on literally dozens of convertors used in 7~8 second 180mph+ dragsters without any strength or out of balance issues.

#3 ·
rbreak said:
When I worked at a performance transmission shop, for flushing out convertors we would drill a .339" hole (letter "R" drill) on the outer diamater of the convertor, then flush mineral spirits into the neck of the convertor until all of the old trans fluid was flushed and there was just pure mineral spirits coming out of the drilled hole. Then flush the mineral spirits out with new trans fluid in the same manner, until you get pure clean trans fluid coming out of the drilled hole. To plug the drilled hole, use a 1/8th-27 tapered pipe tap to thread the hole, being careful to not taper open the whole too much and careful not to allow any metal shavings into the convertor. Then plug the hole with a 1/8th-27 pipe plug. This method was used on literally dozens of convertors used in 7~8 second 180mph+ dragsters without any strength or out of balance issues.
Holy crap that sounds complicated and messy!!

#4 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.