DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife desperately want to purchase a 5th wheel, but I've never seen one pulled with a half ton truck. Has anyone here ever pulled one? Is it too much weight on the bed? Should I just tell her it is not possible and push for a pull behind? Upgrading trucks is not an option as my truck is 2 months old. Any advice is welcome.
Thanx
Neal

BTW if anyone has a pic of a 1500 pulling a 5th wheel PLEASE post it.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
I don't know what the fifth wheel would put on your bed, but I had over 1750 pounds in my bed and I still had 1 inch till the bumpstops would hit the rear axle. All the power you could ask for too

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
On my last trip I was surprised when I passed a 1500 pulling what looked to be around a 20-25 footer. I hadn't even considered pulling one myself, and have been shopping for my folks. They wanted to go full-time at first, and were looking for a 3/4 or one ton, diesel, extended cab anything. I think I've got them talked into a Ram (especially since the 750 mile trip we took last Thanksgiving in MY Ram:D), but they have relented on needing a 2500-3500. Dad mentioned that many of the newer campers, whether TT's, fifth wheels, or even slide-in's, are way lighter than they used to be. He said that talking with their trailer lot buddy, quite a few of the fifth wheelers come in under the GVWR for a 1500.

So to make a long story short...

It's do-able, and I even saw one on the road, lol.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Just make sure it comes in under the towing rating for your particularly optioned truck, and you can tow anything you want...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
A fifth wheel is doable with a 1500 truck. A 2500 or 3500 (especially a 3500 DRW) can make towing a breeze with the added stability of the 3500's dual rear wheels. Most any truck can pull (start) a load.....it's the stopping that can become tricky; that's where the 2500's and 3500's shine in comparison to a 1500 series, irregardless of trailer brakes. Also, a SWB can make it a little tight due to clearance issues whilst parking at campgrounds. The main thing is to find a trailer dealer that will give you an honest pin weight of the trailer you're looking at.....but expect that to change dependent on a) how much junk you decide to take on your trip and b) how well distributed said weight is.
Greg

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It was a cold day in DeFuniak Springs when I took this pic. Here's a 1500 with a Cougar. There was also a Hemi powered 2500 with a big Mountaineer camped next to us.
There are plenty of smaller 5th wheels with light pin weights for 1/2 ton trucks. We towed a 231A Jayco Quest 5th wheel for a while that only had an 1,100 lb pin weight. Very easy to tow and I'm sure a 1500 would have no trouble with it. It was 26ft long with one manual mini slide for the couch.
Don't be mislead by salesmen or brouchures. Actual weights may, er uh, scratch that, will vary.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Before you consider doing it, weigh your truck at a scale with a full tank of gas and the passenger load you think you will have when pulling a 5th wheel. Add to that the weight of the bed hitch. Subtract that total from the GVW of the truck and that will be what you have left over for pin weight of the 5th wheel. Note that the above procedure did not include ANY weight for luggage. My guess is that you will be over on the GVW but under on the GCVW. I have a hard time with my 2500 keeping under the GVW, but the only real difference between the 2500 and the 3500 SRW is the rear leaf springs and the front brakes are slightly larger on the 3500.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
If your going to do it I would look into beafing up the rear suspension .... at least slap on some HELPERS to keep your rear end STIFF for the additional weight. Im not sure if the 2500 and 3500 are useing thicker axles or not but this is where you would run into a problem if you where to run into one... Too much weight, the right bump and running out of suspension will pin the housing to the frame and can stap an axle... Can it be done... sure it can but the question really is "SHOULD it be done?"

Do the math and if its close then just add some helpers at a minimum... they can be installed and removed in less than an hour... They will stiffen up the springs and allow you to handle more weight.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
helper bags and an add-a-leaf pack at least

also, what gears are in it? if it's 3.92's, look into a set of 245 series tires on 17's for a little more power

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Any 5th wheel under 24 foot with no slide is ok for a 1500. When you get over 24 feet or start into the one slide, 2 slide trailers you better do the math twice to make sure you have the right numbers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good post guys. The info will help me choose between a few trailers Im looking at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.