Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a problem , maybe someone can help with..

My pull handle drivers side on my 2004 ram 1500 broke loose, went to dealer to get it replaced since the truck is still under the new vehicle warranty. At first they told me it was cover, now they are telling me that it is not covered due to "abuse". I am the only one who drives the vehicle, 45 years of age and don't swing on it, I only use it sometimes to get into the truck. totally ridiculous that they are refusing to cover it, must of been a defect in making of handle.

my question is has anyone else had this part fail,

did your dealer replace it,

is there a number that anyone can recommend that will get me help for this problem,

they are telling me that after the new year that they will get me in contact with a "rep", said he might be able to help me. I was just using the handle for the purpose that it was installed, can't see how it wouldn't be covered by warranty.

thank Eric

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
I would want a more thorough explanation of how there was abuse

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Abuse??? Are you using a crowbar to open the door? I’d call Dodge Customer Service.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
Abuse? I don't think so. It's ment to help you in and out of the truck. That doesn't sound like abuse to me!

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Is it possible that someone could have attempted to gain access to your ride? That could have broken it...

:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well , i went to dealer, was pretty pissed, wanted them to explain just what they considered abuse, they started to back peddle, blamed dodge, for their policy

I know the manager there, he is a pretty decent guy, said it was not his decision that it was dodges policy, also he informed me that if the pull handle was to be replaced, both sides would have to be replaced, turns out that dodge has "redesigned" the pull handle, i wonder why, probably defective design,

but he informs me that the rep would be available to see me sometime the second week of January,

i will wait, just so frustrating, i take good care of my truck and to have them give me a problem over such a stupid matter is a real pain in the ass,

thanks for your input,

eric

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
inxs996 said:
... i take good care of my truck ... eric
Eric, I feel for you. I have a broken dash, my sunglass holder has a broken latch, and the paint is gone and flanking. The manufactures are making their vehicles out of cheater and cheaper materials. Then they point their fingers at us when parts fail is reprehensible. :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT:

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Dskirtech said:
Is it possible that someone could have attempted to gain access to your ride? That could have broken it...

:)
I replaced mine by purchasing a new one when I was on holiday in Florida this year.
It was only $27.
I think the only design difference is that on my old 03 Hemi grab handle assy, there is a rubber strip running down the edge, which buts up against the front windscreen.
On the new handle assy, that is missing.
The mounting bosses behind the grab handle where the bolts fit into the cab frame, snap and/or enlarge causing the bolts to get a lose fit.
That's what happened to mine.
Al.

·
Registered
595 Posts
BS they dont have to change both..... the one will still work w.o the other they arnt connected.... there is NO way you should let them make you pay to fix that

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
believe me, i will not pay for it, if the rep fails to solve the problem, i will go out and get some epoxy and repair the broken part myself

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
If they screw you over, I say get the srt-10 pillar pod/grab handle and throw in a cool guage.

KB

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Don’t let them say it’s not covered. When mine came off in my hand, I drove straight to the dealer. The service writer joked … “That never happens”. He then added my handle to the small pile of handles behind him. He then walk to the part department and installed the new handle himself.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yeah I would stick to your guns. How the hell do you abuse a grab handle anyway......?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm going through the same thing right now. My drivers side handle finally came off completely and the passenger side is ready to go any day. When my wife gets into the truck I have to make sure she doesn't grab the handle. This is a poor design!! I went to the dealer and bought a replacement for the passenger side as I have ordered the SRT 10 and trans gauge for the drivers side and he said they sell a boat load of the handles. He even admitted they keep a running stock of them! There is no "re-design" of the handle!!! The dealer told me the same thing. My old handle looks the same as the new handle. No difference. I can't believe Chrysler has not been sued over this. Somebody is going to hurt over this. The handle is there to assist you getting into the truck. What good is it if it doesn't stay connected to the truck!!!! Sorry for the rant. I'm done. :)

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I have to disagree. It not a true handle; it’s just there for the looks because all of the other trucks have a real handles. On my Ford, the grab handle was leather and rubber covering a steel handle that was bolted to the A-Pillar. The Dodge want-to-be-handle is plastic pillar held-on by two number ten sheet metal screws. When the Dodge want-to-be-handle came off in my hand and was replaced by Dodge, I haven’t touched it again; I use the steering wheel. My greatest fear is when my 60’ something Mom gets in the truck and uses the plastic handle to get in. :SHK:

·
Hemiless
714 Posts
On a serious note, is there a real fix for this problem?

My buddy's handle fell off on his '04. He warned me to be careful. Now, this '04 I just bought is having the same issues. The driver's side back handle is coming loose from the B-pillar. My wife and kids (and myself when I'm trying to get into the truck with the baby) all use these handles to help ourselves into the truck. I'm really worried one is going to come off completely and cause one of us to fall.

My truck just turned 50K miles this weekend, so obviously it's not covered under warranty. If there is a real fix, I'll buy the parts and do it myself. Does anyone know what can be done about the crappy pull handles?

:mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 07 handles were loose after about 3 weeks of owning the truck. I tightened both of them up and have not had a problem since. IF they are loose, don't use them until you tighten them; they are flimsy screws, not bolts that hold those on.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I too would like the information because my elderly Mom climbs in to the truck using the handle. I would like to update or replace the plastic crappy handle with something that safer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.