DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is 2 months old and has 1,500 miles on it. When I first got it I put the duals on and when I started it, the truck blew some blackish blue smoke. I thought it was from the welding etc. I had done on the pipes. Then I started it for some friends, so they could hear the exhaust, and they said it puffed blue smoke for a quick second when it started.
Yesterday I started the truck and I could see the puff of blue smoke go by the drivers window.
I know this is a stupid question but....is this normal?
Is it because I dont really have many miles on it and and things arent "seated" yet?
Anyone else experiance this?

·
Registered
252 Posts
my truck puffs out blueish gray smoke if i rev it hard and i can smell oil burning a lil bit but mines a 1994 with a 360 and no cats

·
Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,129 Posts
My '06 puffs a quick little bit of blue rich smoke on start-up then for about a minute or so the exhaust smells like my old Chebby Malibu's exhaust did at idle. Seems normal to me till it warms up at least.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine does not do it. Though I did have an 89 GMC 4.3 that was real bad about it. Worn valve seals. It was embarrasing sometimes.

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
Mine doesnt either. But, I had a Firebird with a 3.8L and if it sat for a couple days and I started it I would get a little puff. I never had any problems with it though.

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
My olds Chevies did it,.. my truck now doesn't. Was the valve seals on my old trucks..

·
Registered
684 Posts
Mine doesn't at all but I had lawn mower with a Briggs and Stratton on it and it would smoke like crazy. :crazy: I hope this helps. ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it. Its just probably the break-in of the motor and everything getting seated properly and your new cat and exhaust getting broke in.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
every now and then mine does it, but its not leaking or burning oil, it seems to depend on how i drove it before i shut it off, if i was hard in it and parked it right away and then crank it up it smells rich for second...pretty normal if you ask me

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was doing alot of starting and moving around the driveway. Just starting it then shutting it off in a very short time.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
brihvac said:
I was doing alot of starting and moving around the driveway. Just starting it then shutting it off in a very short time.
sounds like a rich condition to me bro....or a combination of that and some residual oil inside the piping of the new exhaust which might cause the bluish color

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
siiturbo said:
I wouldnt worry about it. Its just probably the break-in of the motor and everything getting seated properly and your new cat and exhaust getting broke in.
That's my guess as well. Rings and valves still gettin' used to workin' for a livin'.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Get that truck out on Del 1 or US 95 and run it for 30 or 40 miles at high speed like 85 Mph and get those piston rings lapped in, don't be afraid to get your foot in it a little. Worked for me. Just IMO.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rt 1 is right behind my house. I think I will do that. I have been taking it easy. But it now has 1600 miles. Its time

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
You need to load up the bed with a sled or quad and or better yet pull a trailer. You won't break in an engine by just driving it fast. You are better off loading up the engine at lower speed and higher rpm's.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Break In

You bet, 76 Power Wagon 440, 95 2500 Ram 5.9, 07 2500 Ram Hemi, even had a little 86 Mitsu. Dodge 4 Cyl. P-up, treated them all like that and not one of them ever used a Qt. of oil between changes, kept each of them at least 10 Yrs., still have the 95 and it has 144,000 and it still does not use any oil, or anything else ('cept FUEL ;) ). IMO if you baby them too long the cylinders polish up before the rings seat properly, now I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but I only know what works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.