DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ive been hearing from alot of people that running open exhaust...ex. I have a electric cutout after my cats...but everyone keeps telling me to not run open exhaust because it will burn my valves up? Well for one thing I dont see how it burn them up if I am letting heat out better and faster but since they are after my cats, technically its not an open exhaust and I should be ok right? I dont plan on running the cutout open all the time but what I was really worried about was that I drive 70miles roundtrip to work and didnt know if it would hurt it then.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Some guys have been running cutout open everyday since it was installed. I am one of those. I have had mine for about 3 monthes. I drive roundtrip to/from work about 50 miles right now with it open. That's city and highway driving. The pro is the sound. The con is... I don't have one except maybe when its open I want to give it more gas than I need to so I get some more sound out of it. So far no problems here.

·
Relentless
1,859 Posts
The only way i see it warping the valves is if you get all over it while its open when its really cold out side like in older cars that are running straight headers. I let mine warm up a little before i open it just for that reason. But i may be :crazy:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nothing to worry about, i've run mine like that for about 70,000 miles and im good so far. Plus, you dont want a muffler, leave it open all the time!

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you still have the stock exhaust manifold and piping down to at least the cats then its almost impossible to burn a valve. but if you run open headers with no cats, piping or anything, then its possible to burn a valve. the stock manifolds actually conduct the heat away better than headers do. the less material you have to conduct the heat away from the head the greater your chances of burning a valve. hope this helps...

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
I have been running an open cutout before the cat with longtube headers for well over 30,000 miles now and I drive the piss out of my truck...I have driven it hard in temps below 20* and never had a problem...You are fine.

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
OncGMnowHemi said:
HEY GOOD TO HERE FROM MY BUDDY HEMI450HP...hey by the way sometime around the 19 of Nov Ill be flying in your direction heading to Dallas we need to hook-up
Nov. 19th is my brothers B0day, so I dont know if I will be able to make it up to Dallas, but we will see. My Mom lives in Dallas, so if my brother wants to spend his b-day with her, then I will be there as well. PM me as the time gets closer and we will see if we can set something up.

Hell what am I thinking...You are in Houston!! I live in Conroe, so we just need to pick a weekend to maybe hit the track or something...HRP is always a blast down in Baytown.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Hey let me chime in on your original question for just a sec bro.

A lot of the comments from people that contradict things that seem to work around here (ie. open exhaust burns valves, or TB spacers work, lol) come from those with knowledge of cars from the good ol' days. An open exhaust in a CARBURETED engine needed adjustments to make it work. If you took a carb car to the track, popped the cutout open and ran it just the way it was, it'd burn the valves. The valves would get burnt due to a lean A/F mixture. So cutouts meant that you had to richen it while running them open.

Fuel injected engines with computer control (especially OBDII) get their A/F ratios adjusted automatically. There are so many things that we can do these days that used to take a heckuva lot of trial and error in the old days. Cutouts? You used to have to make run after run, inspect the plugs after each one to check the burn pattern, rejet the carb, over and over until you got the fuel right. Nowadays just flip the switch and the ECM makes the adjustments for you (hey, that's one of the reasons these things have got O2 sensors, lol).

Cutouts? They're on my long-term list. Full free-flow exhaust and a cutout...ohhhh yeaaaaah.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.