DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Programming A New Key and/or Fob?

76K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ipmarine 
#1 ·
Here is a tutorial on how to program a new key and/or fob to your Mopar. I will cover 2002/3-2005 and 2006-2009.

Disclaimer: All of the "customer learn" procedures for programming new keys REQUIRE the vehicle to have at least two keys pre-programmed and on hand to use BEFORE programming new keys to the vehicle! IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TWO KEYS ALREADY PROGRAMMED TO THE VEHICLE YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE THE DEALER OR AN INDEPENDENT REPAIR FACILITY WITH THE FACTORY SCANTOOL(S) PROGRAM THE SECOND KEY.

** 2002/3-2005 **
The early third gen vehicle keys/fobs look like this...

The vehicles that do not have remote keyless entry (RKE) still have a chip inside the key, this system is called the sentry key immobilizer system (SKIS). The key sends a signal to the sentry key immobilizer module (SKIM) which allows the ignition to start the vehicle.

The SKIM in every new vehicle is pre-programmed with 2 keys from the factory. The system allows up to 8 keys to be programmed to a single vehicle. If you have your two factory keys and would like to add more, below is the step by step instruction.

PROGRAMMING A SENTRY KEY

1. Insert one of the two programmed sentry keys into the ignition and turn it to the ON position.
2. After the ignition switch has been on ON for about 3 seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, turn the ignition OFF and remove the first key. Insert the second programmed sentry key and turn the ignition to ON for at least 3 seconds again, but no more than 15 seconds. Leave the second key in with the ignition on ON.

*** THE KEY SWAPPING STEPS MUST BE DONE WITHIN 15 SECONDS OF EACHOTHER. ***

3. In about 10 seconds the VTSS (single red anti-theft light on the cluster) will begin to flash, indicating it has entered "customer learn" mode.
4. Within 60 seconds of entering learn mode, turn the ignition OFF and remove the programmed key. Insert a blank sentry key and turn the ignition to ON. In about 10 seconds the VTSS light will stop flashing and stay on solid for about 3 seconds, then turn off indicating it has programmed the new key. The vehicle will now exit learn mode. Turn the key to OFF and leave the ignition off for 60 seconds.

If the vehicle is equipped with RKE and you would like to program a new fob, then follow the instructions below.

PROGRAMMING AN RKE TRANSMITTER/FOB

1. Enter the vehicle and close all doors.
2. Fasten the driver seat belt and turn the ignition to RUN.
3. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on a programmed fob for 4-10 seconds. Within the 4-10 second range also press the PANIC button for 1 second. If done correctly you will hear a chime indicating the vehicle is in learn mode.
4. Press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on an unprogrammed fob. If done correctly you will hear a single chime indicating the fob is now recognized.
5. Press and release any button on the fob and you should hear another single chime indicating the fob is now programmed.
6. Turn the ignition to OFF and wait 60 seconds for the vehicle to leave learn mode.

** 2006-2009 **

In 2006, Mopar went to an all-in-one sentry key and fob which looks like this...

There are no separate fobs for the vehicles as they are now part of the key, which means the process that programs a sentry key to the vehicle also programs the fob. There is an additional module added to the CANbus vehicles, called the sentry key remote entry module (SKREEM). These vehicles also come from the factory with 2 keys pre-programmed and the capacity for a total of 8 keys. If you have your factory keys and would like to add more, read below.

PROGRAMMING A REMOTE ENTRY SENTRY KEY

1. Insert one of the two programmed sentry keys into the ignition and turn it to the ON position.
2. After the ignition switch has been on ON for about 3 seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, turn the ignition OFF and remove the first key. Insert the second programmed sentry key and turn the ignition to ON for at least 3 seconds again, but no more than 15 seconds. Leave the second key in with the ignition on ON.

*** THE KEY SWAPPING STEPS MUST BE DONE WITHIN 15 SECONDS OF EACHOTHER. ***

3. In about 10 seconds the VTSS (single red anti-theft light on the cluster) will begin to flash, indicating the SKIS has entered "customer learn" mode.
4. Within 60 seconds of entering learn mode, turn the ignition OFF and remove the programmed key. Insert a blank sentry key and turn the ignition to ON. In about 10 seconds the VTSS light will stop flashing and stay on solid for about 3 seconds, then turn off indicating it has programmed the new key. The SKIS will automatically exit learn mode. The vehicle can be started after cycling the ignition to OFF then back to ON.

See less See more
Reactions: BigBadRam806$
#2 ·
You can buy a blank key and have it cut to match your ignition at the dealer by using the VIN.

#3 ·
Great write-up, Franco. I'll put a copy of this in the "How To" articles section later today.

Reactions: BigBadRam806$
#4 ·
Outstanding!

#5 ·
OK I got my new key, my wifes 2006 Durango will not go into learn mode. I've tried it a few times..

Any one else have issues or is there something I am missing.

#6 ·
same thing in my 2005 ram

#8 ·
Does anyone know if the remote from an '05 Ram Hemi can be reprogrammed to operate the door locks on an '03 Dakota 4.7. Picked up the used Dakota for a run-around vehicle. Came with spare keys but no remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.