DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best computer programmer out there for my 5.9 cummins? Edge w attitude looks good but Banks says when they compared the 2, Edges claims weren't validated and egts were too high. Im leaning towards Banks how can you go wrong with them?

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
If you're looking for power Banks just doesn't cut it. Mads Electronics SMARTY and BullyDog is the only way to go if your looking for power, and I mean clutch smoking tranny breaking power.

MikeyB

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
I will second the "don't waste your money on Banks" I like plug and play boxes myself instead of "programmers"

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've never had high egt's with my edge,even on level 5.I tow our 5th wheel all over the country,and the highest I've ever seen,was 850 degrees,and that was going through the rockies.Not saying I tow on level 5.

·
BALL JOINT DESTROYER
417 Posts
Programmers

What is the best computer programmer out there for my 5.9 cummins? Edge w attitude looks good but Banks says when they compared the 2, Edges claims weren't validated and egts were too high. Im leaning towards Banks how can you go wrong with them?

Well...I can say as a Banks Six Gun owner, I have mixed feelings. Since this is the only programmer I've tried, I don't have much to compare. I will say that install is a PITA. Too much wiring. I would have just gone with a plug-n-play if I would've known. However, switch on the fly is great. Power is very good on level 6. I would probably go bully dog or smarty if I could do it over.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
I've never had high egt's with my edge,even on level 5.I tow our 5th wheel all over the country,and the highest I've ever seen,was 850 degrees,and that was going through the rockies.Not saying I tow on level 5.
Where is your EGT pyro mounted? My 05 idled about 850, lol. I could peg it at 1600 degrees at the end of the 1/4.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the Banks Power-Pak. The install was time-consuming, but not difficult. Keep in mind, my package includes exhaust, intake, intercooler ( charge-air cooler ), new air cleaner ass'y, plus the PDA on the dash.
I cannot compare to others, this is the only one I have ever run.
I do like it. I do not race my truck, or beat on it. I upgraded it to supply more power for heavy towing, and the Banks unit delivers that in spades, plus I get 22-24 mpg on the freeway ( 65 mph, 1800 rpm empty).
I suppose that one could cobble together some conglomeration of parts that provides as much for a cheaper price, but one-stop shopping ( not to mention one-stop engineering) is worth something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you want to use Banks and don't mind spending the money, go for it. Their stuff does what it says it will do and they offer great support for their products. My cousin has a package like bookworm's is his '06 and the thing delivers awesome power, on-the-fly without dumping massive smoke clouds out the exhaust. I know, I know.. a lot of guys like that.

I got a Banks Bullet as a gift from the old man and it works plenty good for me. If I was to buy one my own, I probably would have bought the Edge EZ, but the added 60 RWHP the Bullet makes has been more than enough considering I got it for free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm using the Smarty Jr. Cost me $475.00. Has all I need for towing my boat. I have the 5.9 Cummins. Picked up 2-4 miles to the gallon. Less smoke. The Smarty Jr has three levels. 40-70-100. I use the 70 for towing a 42 foot go-fast boat. 40 for around town. Smarty only does Cummins I believe.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
Where is your EGT pyro mounted? My 05 idled about 850, lol. I could peg it at 1600 degrees at the end of the 1/4.

dude, 850 at idle. ha ha thats way too high. something is wrong.

I idle at 250-350 when in gear and stopped I am at 400-500

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
if you want a simple hook up, good support, plenty of power, mpg increase and good price.

Quadzilla gets my vote.
you can pick up a slightly used commander (gauges and switch on the fly) and a 100hp box for under 500.
the commander can be used alone as just a gauge.
edge cant do that, banks cant do that. smarty cant do that ect.

so its like haveing regular gauges. with the module plugged in you can change the settings on the fly as well.

programmers are nice but change on the fly isnt appening except smarty and Bully dog I believe. but then you have a cord going to your OBDII port and have to hold your programmer. then you still need gauges. so spend $500 on a programmer then have to spend another $300 on gauges.

·
Registered
440 Posts
if you want a simple hook up, good support, plenty of power, mpg increase and good price.

Quadzilla gets my vote.
you can pick up a slightly used commander (gauges and switch on the fly) and a 100hp box for under 500.
the commander can be used alone as just a gauge.
edge cant do that, banks cant do that. smarty cant do that ect.

so its like haveing regular gauges. with the module plugged in you can change the settings on the fly as well.

programmers are nice but change on the fly isnt appening except smarty and Bully dog I believe. but then you have a cord going to your OBDII port and have to hold your programmer. then you still need gauges. so spend $500 on a programmer then have to spend another $300 on gauges.
Okay, first you are mistaken about the gauges. Banks can be used as "just a gauge". I have what Banks calls the Power PDA, a Palm Tungsten e2, that mounts on the dash just to the right of the radio. It monitors all engine functions and will translate into english any codes thrown by the vehicle. This includes all systems monitored by the vehicle computor, from crank position sensor to fuel rail pressure to what gear you are currently in. It constantly displays 4 items, 2 of which are EGT and BOOST, the other 2 can be chosen by the driver ( i use trans temp and load percentage). With the tuner on level 2 (stock) the gauges still function. So, Banks can be used as "just a gauge"
Second, you are mistaken about shift on the fly. Banks does have it, it is one of the reasons I went with the Banks system. Yes, there is a cord going to the OBDII port, but it's not like you have to unplug something to get it in there, the port is empty otherwise. As for the cord, it is functionally invisible, run up thru the dash to the PDA. I think the average person would not even know the cord was there.
If you want to run Quadzilla, that's your choice. But at least don't make false claims about other systems. Let the guy make an informed decision himself, with complete and factual information.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
I didnt make false claims.
I just wasnt specific enough for you I guess.

If you took your truck to the dealer you would have to take your banks out as if they knew anything about diesel performance would know that Banks is not just a gauge it can be used as a programmer.
as the commander can be purchased to use only as a gauge and can not enhance a vehicle by itself. So if you were worried about warranty you can insert the dummy plug and take your module out and you have a stock truck with gauges.
The commander can also be used with competitors modules. a simple interface plug from quad and there ya go.
the commander is just like having normal gauges.

So if you made the decission to try a different programmer or module you could keep the commander as your gauges. Can you do that with your banks.
no. you would have to keep your banks to run as a gauge and spend more money on another system.

so dont get all up on me and think I dont know anything.

read my comment about the switch on the fly, I said I think and named 2 that could. so I left one out chill out.

I have run smarty sr. and jr., diablo, edge, quadzilla, scorpion and superchips
and I prefered quadzilla, for the whole package and the price.

so when I recomend quad it isnt because thats what I have its because that what I have chosen.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
can the E2 or the pda defuel when you get into unsafe egt or bosst? just curious as I wanted to see how it compared to the Diablo trinity

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am not trying to start anything, but your original message is easily taken several different ways. This discussion has no conclusion, everyone must make their own decision. I went with a comprehensive, well thought-out, well engineered package. Others prefer to "roll-yer -own". I have no a beef with that, but your message was unclear, and I took it upon myself to clarify.
As for your question, yes the Banks will defuel at certain boost or egt setpoints. It can be left at the default, or you can pick your on setpoints. It also has ttrans temp alarms, coolant temp alarms, low oil press, etc. All adible alarms, not merely a flashing lamp,( altho if you prefer ta flashing lamp, that can be easily set up also.).

As an aside, do you think that any tech that see's the "dummy plug" is going to think there was no power-adder on the truck ? It makes no sense to spend programmer money on a set of gauges, when gauges are much cheaper.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
As an aside, do you think that any tech that see's the "dummy plug" is going to think there was no power-adder on the truck ? It makes no sense to spend programmer money on a set of gauges, when gauges are much cheaper.
the plug is about an inch long and maybe a 1/2 of an inch wide. and is under the dash. its just a pigtail so its like haveing the stock wiring in place. If you dont look close it looks like part of the wireing.
I got my commander and race box for $325 140hp. the commander new is like $300, which could easily be the cost of a set of good gauges and regular gauges wouldnt control a box or defuel.
Its no different than getting a set of gauges and a programmer or module and disconnecting the module or returning the vehicle to stock with the programmer.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
As for your question, yes the Banks will defuel at certain boost or egt setpoints. It can be left at the default, or you can pick your on setpoints. It also has ttrans temp alarms, coolant temp alarms, low oil press, etc. All adible alarms, not merely a flashing lamp,( altho if you prefer ta flashing lamp, that can be easily set up also.).

QUOTE]
i read there website and all it says is that it has an alarm for limits and nothing about defueling. If it does defuel thats sweet as the trinity cant and it cant shift on the fly either. The trinity will cost $800.

and as I read it the PDA isnt really a programmer. it needs a module to ad power. correct?

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
edge does have the insight that can work as a stand alone gauge but it doesnt look like it can control a module

·
Registered
102 Posts
My probe is mounted in my Banks brake right behind the turbo.It had a aplace for it,so I put it there,instead of drilling the manifold.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
If you have it mounted post turbo you are about 400 degrees cooler then in the manifold.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.