DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to install a Elderbrock Proflow 1002 air cleaner (on a 5.9LV8)? I have been reading bits and pieces on various posts about this. It seems like a good idea. Does it have any negative effects on the engine (check engine lights, etc..) How many parts will I need to fabricate to get it to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Send chizzle1 a PM. He's the one I know that has one, and should be able to help you.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will do that.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
sorry, my box was full.
See this thread, I just answered the same question.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121006

post # 20.

you won't need anything except a short length of vacuum line (1/4 or 1/2 inch) to make a seal with, and some threaded rod to make an s bolt with.
Total 'fab' parts less than $5.
Edelbrock ProFlow 1002 less than $30 at most parts houses.

edit: if you are replacing the stock box, you will hear an audible hiss (sounds like a tire leaking) when the IAC opens upon cold start, this will not be present once the engine is at operating temp.
And you will be able to hear the motor inhaling when you have your foot in it.
You will notice the gains from 2500 rpms up :tup:
I wanted to ensure I included the changes in sound, as one person installed it an was annoyed at the audible sound from the throttle body. Most motor heads, myself included, like the sucking sound.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chizzle, that helped a lot! I am like you, I like that sound too! It may take me a couple of weeks to have time to do this mod, but I will let you know how it turns out when I get it done. I really appreciate the information and the $ savings!!

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
no problem :tup:
post up the results & pics once you get it done.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will do.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is this as good or better than a cold air intake? it definatly is cheaper.Also does it have better performance gains? id probably use the stock throttle body for now.Is it worth it to use the stock TB? sorry for all the questions :D

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
360_4x4 said:
Is this as good or better than a cold air intake? it definatly is cheaper.Also does it have better performance gains? id probably use the stock throttle body for now.Is it worth it to use the stock TB? sorry for all the questions :D
It's different than a CAI. CAI are designed to draw cooler, more dense air in from near the front of the vehicle. This air, while cooler and denser, is not a large volume. The proflow (as with most open element air hats) out flow the CAI, but the air brought into the engine may not be as dense. Tests (that I have witnessed and researched) show that, while moving, their is a negligible difference in the intake air temps between a CAI and an open element. Bottom line, the open element setup will perform as good if not better. And they are more adept for 4 wheeling than CAI setups, being that water gets into CAIs easier.

if you are still running the stock air box, you will really notice the gains over 3500 rpms.
The larger throttle body will have gains all it own. Having the right air assembly only helps.
I purchased the proflow before I installed the 52mm throttle body, and it did help some even with the stock 48mm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Chizzle 1, did you leave the IAT in the intake manafold or relocate it in the Proflow 1002? Thanks

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
left it in the manifold.
there is no performance gain by relocating the IAT sensor.
About 1.5 years ago I used a laptop, OBD-II software and a variable resistor to see if their is any more power that can be free'd by changing what the PCM thinks the incoming air charge temp is. Using the variable resistor, and monitoring the IAT with the OBD-II software, I dialed the incoming air temp down to 82*. Nothing different except for a rough idle.

There shouldn't be anything plumbed to the proflow, you can replace the stock crankcase breather with a cap style (no hose attachment).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chizzle,
I installed the Proflow today, and I am having a couple of problems. When I was road testing it, around 1500 rpms it developed a dead spot and when I gave it more gas it would smooth out. Also, when you first start accelerating (after it's warmed up) the sound is really strange. Its more like a "Whoosh" sound (kind of like a loud vacuum ) when you first give it the gas, and then it sounds normal after that. It doesn't sound like any intake sound I have ever heard. Is this the same sound you hear on your truck? I guess I was expecting more of the sound you hear with an open element on a carburated engine. Is it necessary to reset the computer after this mod?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
trucklover said:
Chizzle,
I installed the Proflow today, and I am having a couple of problems. When I was road testing it, around 1500 rpms it developed a dead spot and when I gave it more gas it would smooth out. Also, when you first start accelerating (after it's warmed up) the sound is really strange. Its more like a "Whoosh" sound (kind of like a loud vacuum ) when you first give it the gas, and then it sounds normal after that. It doesn't sound like any intake sound I have ever heard. Is this the same sound you hear on your truck? I guess I was expecting more of the sound you hear with an open element on a carburated engine. Is it necessary to reset the computer after this mod?
I did reset the PCM by leaving the neg battery cable disconnected for about 5 minutes.
I didn't experience any 'dead spot' though...how old is the TPS? OEM?
In my truck the intake sound is somewhat overpowered by the exhaust note, but I can hear it. I supposed the sounds could be described as a 'whoosh', but it sounds a lot like a carbureted application in my opinion.
The only time I really notice it anymore is when I cold start it and I can hear the IAC actuating (almost like a whistle).
Did you notice any performance gains above 2500 rpms?
Were you swapping from a stock air box setup?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As far as I know the TPS is original (the truck is a 2001). I did find two vacuum leaks (hoses going to the passenger side fenderwell). The ends were split on the hoses so I cut the bad parts off and reinstalled the hoses. I was hoping that was where the sound was coming from, but it wasn't. The IAC sound doesn't bother me, but this sound is like a major vacuum leak. I used one of those chrome valve cover breathers like you have on your truck. One thing that has just came to mind, I tried using the 1/4" vacuum hose around the bottom of the airhat like you suggested, but it wouldn't fit the throttle body so I used the stock gasket along with the clamp that held the original airbox to the throttle body. When trying to use the vacuum hose I cut the hose in the center and then tried sliding it on the bottom of the airhat. Did I do that correctly? It did feel stronger on the top end and after the engine got beyond about 1500 RPM and the intake sound sounded normal after that engine speed. Its just when you first give it gas, it sounds like the truck has a big air leak. It sounds like it has a vacuum leak, but I couldn't find anymore hoses that were leaking. I am going to try again this evening, I ran out of time last night when I was working on it.

I did try to do a 0-60 time for my other post on 5.9L verses 8.0L and didn't have any luck. The truck would not hook up. It would just sit there spinning for a few seconds and then slowly (still spinning) pull off and then would get traction. Mine is peg leg also, so it is pretty easy to spin. By the time the truck would get going, the 0-60 time would be terrible. Using my watch (the road I was using was going up an incline as well, thats about as flat as it gets in Va!) I got to 60 in about 13 seconds.But thats after spinning for about the first 5 seconds or so.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some pictures of the install:

Attachments

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
trucklover said:
I tried using the 1/4" vacuum hose around the bottom of the airhat like you suggested, but it wouldn't fit the throttle body so I used the stock gasket along with the clamp that held the original airbox to the throttle body. When trying to use the vacuum hose I cut the hose in the center and then tried sliding it on the bottom of the airhat. Did I do that correctly? It did feel stronger on the top end and after the engine got beyond about 1500 RPM and the intake sound sounded normal after that engine speed. Its just when you first give it gas, it sounds like the truck has a big air leak. It sounds like it has a vacuum leak, but I couldn't find anymore hoses that were leaking. I am going to try again this evening, I ran out of time last night when I was working on it.

I did try to do a 0-60 time for my other post on 5.9L verses 8.0L and didn't have any luck. The truck would not hook up. It would just sit there spinning for a few seconds and then slowly pull off and then would get traction. Mine is peg leg also, so it is pretty easy to spin. By the time the truck would get going, the 0-60 time would be terrible. Using my watch (the road I was using was going up a incline as well, thats about as flat as it gets in Va!) I got to 60 in about 13 seconds.But thats after spinning for about the first 5 seconds or so.
(damn you engine bay is clean)

You need to get either 1/8" or 1/4" vacuum line to fit on the bottom portion of the air assembly so it has a proper seal.
The stock gasket doesn't seal it correctly, and after reading this post I think that is where the undesirable sound is coming from.
I don't understand how it won't fit, I had it on the stock throttle body before I swapped in the 52mm.
Try maybe 1/8" line, perhaps 1/4 is too big. I honestly don't know what the guy at the parts house gave me, but it was probably 1/8".

When trying to use the vacuum hose I cut the hose in the center and then tried sliding it on the bottom of the airhat. Did I do that correctly?
It's a really snug fit, you won't be able to slide it on. Just split it, and start working your way around the base of the air hat. Took me a couple tries before I had it on just right, but it will seal much better than the stock gasket.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Chizzel!! I really appreciate your help on this!! I will get some line tomorrow and try it again. This mod really looks nice under the hood. It looks a lot better in person than it does in the picture.

The dealership I bought this truck from a couple of months ago did the usual steam clean on the engine. Trust me, it won't stay clean long!! I'm doing good just to keep the truck's outside clean!

Thanks again for your help.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
no problem, hope you get it sealed up.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Chizzel1,

I got it sealed well this time! I work for a glass manufacturer and took some scrap glazing gasket and split it down the middle and it fit it like it was made for it! I am still getting that funky sound though (I reset the computer and its running correctly now). I think it may be where I am running the stock throttle body, and there is so much air coming in there it is creating that sound at partial throttle. Imagine having an air hose that has a lot of pressure in it and opening the valve slowly. It would hiss until the valve is fully open. When I drop the pedal about 1/3 way down it makes that hissing sound due to all that air, but when I go about 1/2 the way down is the hissing sound goes away. I am going to run it this way for a little while and see if I get used to it. I am planning on getting a Fastman TB later. But, it does sound pretty cool when you are just sitting there gunning the engine. It has a powerful raspy sound to it, and at WOT it sounds really good!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the pics. That thing looks sweet! I just got one on e-bay for $19 delivered, just waiting for it to ship.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.