DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my home recently caught fire. I lost everything, my home, my husband, my whole world it feels. Our van was parked at the bottom of the driveway because of the snow. It's the only thing I have left and I no longer have a transponder key. I called the nearest automotive locksmith, who is 50 miles from me. I retrieved the info they needed to cut and program a new one. They sent a guy on new years eve. He misread the pin and tripped the security lockout, but didnt have time to wait for it to clear. So he came down a second time like 5 days later. This time the battery was dead. I hadn't been able to move it from my burned home so I had no way to charge the battery. I asked if I could run 10 minutes down the road and just buy a new one so he could do what he needed to. Again, he couldn't wait. So he said that he can come and try again IF they have another call in this area sometime. So he left the keys that will open the doors but were never programmed.
I cant afford to wait until they happen to come by. I know that as a business, they had to be paid regardless of the outcome but I'm down $300. And the longer my van sits idle, the likelier it is it will never run again. I dont know what I should do next. What can I do that will actually result in having my vehicle functioning again? Do I call a different locksmith at the risk of paying another $300? Is there a way to bypass the need for a transponder key? Am I stuck waiting until the locksmith wanders down my way again? I dont even know what my alternative are, my husband always worked on our vehicles. Please, I desperately need some advice even just a direction to start.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to bypass the security system.

Do you have the owners manual? If so, there should be a section on how to program additional keys and the procedure if there are no existing keys. In most cases, if there is no existing key, then the services of a dealer or locksmith are required. If you had an existing programmed key you could program additional keys yourself. Chrysler did away with that option with the 2010 model year vehicles. Now if you want additional keys programmed the services of a dealer or locksmith are required.

·
Red Trucker
2,521 Posts
Do you have the owners manual? If so, there should be a section on how to program additional keys and the procedure if there are no existing keys. In most cases, if there is no existing key, then the services of a dealer or locksmith are required. If you had an existing programmed key you could program additional keys yourself. Chrysler did away with that option with the 2010 model year vehicles. Now if you want additional keys programmed the services of a dealer or locksmith are required.
You are correct, there is no way to bypass the security. In this case there is no other option if there isn't an existing key to program another.

@Meganb2005 I'm sorry, but your only options are to get it towed to a dealer, get yet another smith (hopefully one that knows what he is doing) or see if you have any friends with a DRBIII scanner (which is what the dealers used to use). There is a 4th option but it definitely requires a dealer and also requires extra parts, which is to remove SKIM (module) and the old PCM and install a new PCM without SKIM. This negates the need for a chipped key.

If you weren't two states away I'd offer to help since I actually have a DRBIII and have actually done this procedure on a similar year minivan before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts