DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replace my new ecm and the truck wont start:mad:i was wondering if i needed to program it? some tech said just said plug it in and it should run but no luck yet.also the voltage regulator on the 99 dodge durango 5.2l was goin crazy and ended up destroying 2 new batterys and 1 alternator both brand new also i just replace the alternator too.so my guess is that the old ecm was bad?our alternators dont have voltage regulators on em?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
- Does your vehicle have the factory securty system/alarm?

- Where did you get the PCM from?

- Is it the same part number as yours or do you know that it came from the same year/engine/4x4, 4x2?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually bought it off my bothers truck hes got wreck and its the same year as mine also 4x4 and stock alarm as mine but i dont get it..i should start right up right? it did run for a little bit then it die, i started to crank it over but no fire seems like if the pcm turn off the injectors..

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Many of us have swapped PCMs. If the original vehicle has the factory security system and yours does not, the PCM will NOTWORK IN YOUR TRUCK. It will start then shut right back off. The PCM that goes into both vehicles is the same but when the securty function is enabled (factory optional) in the BCM, when the PCM is used in conjunction with the alarm enabled BCM, something gets set in the PCM. That PCM WILL NOW ONLY WORK in another vehicle if it also has the securty option enabled.

Lock your doors. Do you have a red securty light flashing on the dash?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i try to roll down the windows and it didnt do nothing aswell as locking and unlocking.yea it has the same flashing little red bulb right? thats what you mean.umm i try it this morning because it drain the battery so i crank the engine but this time it only turn with no signs of running but i hear the pump so it ecm must be locked like you said.so theres no way to unlock it manual?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Now it looks like an electrical issue. If the battery is bad or the voltage is off, the vehicle will not stay running. It will run as long as you keep your forr on it but it will shut right off. Many of us have had this when the battery goes bad. Have the battery load tested. Voltage regulation is done by the PCM (it is PCM on the Dodge. Powertrain Control Module).

If the security light flashes when the doors are locked you have the system and the PCMJ should work. BTW, the PCM is not "locked" It simply will no loner work on another Durango WITHOUT the securty option. It will work on one WITH the option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea but when i put the old pcm it runs fine except for the voltage problem it has ruin 2 brand new batterys cuz its over charging them. now advance auto parts has replace my new battery with new again.so my guess is that the sucurity aint working no more.umm or the other pcm got damage during the accident?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Have you checked the wiring from the PCM connector to the field coil? If it's shorted to ground, it could cause the alternator to run at 100% all the time.

The windows and locks should not be affected by the PCM. The locks could be affected by the Central Timer Module (the '99's version of a BCM) though as could the security signals if the CTM was fried by the high voltage. You could try swapping that out of the other D as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.