DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
FAILURE
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought my truck last year in december, so ive had it about a year. When I got it it was completely stock, so no problems with it at all. So since then, ive done these things to the motor, SC 3865, K&N CIA, Shorty wires, Efan. I say what ive done to it to see if anyone else has had any probs with this same thing because of one of these. The last couple of days, after my truck sits all night in the 10-20 degree temps, I go to start it, and it just cranks for 5 min, and coughs and chokes, and sputters but wont fully start, now after about 10 min of trying it will start and blow some nasty stuff out the exhaust like its really rich, then it will say check gauges and my oil pressure gauge shows no pressure, so I turn it back off, and restart it, it fires right up and oil pressure comes back to normal right off the rip. WTF????? any suggestions??? I have noticed that it seems to have more trouble starting since ive installed the shorty wires???? dont know why but it runs great after you get it to run, shut it off, and restart it... But i surely dont want to have to do that every morning, I think my neighbors are getting pissed, not to mention im getting pissed, and it sounds like I drive a POS!

·
So Mote It Be !!!
262 Posts
Sorry, no idea but I am subscribing because I am interested. If it was me I would remove the shorties and see what happens?

·
FAILURE
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats gonna be my sext step, i dont want to, but if it makes my truck start normally then its worth it

·
Daytona 8398
946 Posts
I have had my truck for a year also and I like you installed shorty wires. I had trouble starting my truck friday morning trying to leave work. It was 21 degrees outside that morning, when I left for work thursday night I had zero issues. All my gauges read normal, interior lights were normal but my truck wanted to start but just kept cranking. A retired mechanic came in an hour later and he gave it a shot, he got my truck started. He told my the engine was flooded. There was extra fuel still left in the injectors that could not evaporate due to the cold weather and when I went to start my truck I added to the problem. I asked him if it could be the wires and he said no it was definitely a fuel problem. I get my truck inspected next week and I am gonna ask my mechanic about the problem to see if he has a different answer. If he does I will post it.

·
FAILURE
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet, thanks for the info!! that makes sense, but how in the heck do ya cure that?? ill bee anxiously awaiting feedback from the mechanic!!!!

·
Daytona 8398
946 Posts
Hey Blacknblackhemi, just a quick update. I started my truck this morning and it did start right up. I pulled my power wire to see if that will make a difference, I will let you know. I think I am going to leave the power wire out until the spring time anyway, not gonna make a difference in the winter. I didn't have a power wire last winter, so maybe that might be the cause of the extra fuel in the injectors. I will let you know.

·
Tex
3,717 Posts
the pw adds fuel at WOT i believe. during starting i don't think it would be adding fuel. mine is having a bit of trouble starting in the cold but it's because my battery is almost gone, i have a 2003 on the original batt. i'm starting to hear that shorties can cause this but i don't really know how much i believe that, shorties have been around for a while with tons of lx and ram guys using them and i haven't heard about it until the last couple of days

·
So Mote It Be !!!
262 Posts
I remember in the 80's they sold something called gas-line that was added to your fuel to dry up the water (we bottled it at SAY oil distribution center I worked at) I wonder if they still sell that mess?

·
FAILURE
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My truck started right up this morning too, but it wasnt very cold either, bout 38 so I dont know whats causing it still, but its deff not power wire, cause I dont have one of those any more, I got rid of it about a month ago, so I dont know but i just hope it doesnt go on for long, I was thinking my crank trigger sensor, but who knows

·
105 Posts
I remember in the 80's they sold something called gas-line that was added to your fuel to dry up the water (we bottled it at SAY oil distribution center I worked at) I wonder if they still sell that mess?
Mess? If you mean gas line anti-freeze yes it's still sold. Works well if you need it.

·
FAILURE
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea ive seen gas line antifreeze and ive also seen dry gas stuff, to get water out of your gas. But i pray I dont have water in my gas...

·
Tex
3,717 Posts
My truck started right up this morning too, but it wasnt very cold either, bout 38 so I dont know whats causing it still, but its deff not power wire, cause I dont have one of those any more, I got rid of it about a month ago, so I dont know but i just hope it doesnt go on for long, I was thinking my crank trigger sensor, but who knows
when my camshaft pos sensor went out it was a mofo to get started. it being cold could just be a coincidence.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok so I bought my truck last year in december, so ive had it about a year. When I got it it was completely stock, so no problems with it at all. So since then, ive done these things to the motor, SC 3865, K&N CIA, Shorty wires, Efan. I say what ive done to it to see if anyone else has had any probs with this same thing because of one of these. The last couple of days, after my truck sits all night in the 10-20 degree temps, I go to start it, and it just cranks for 5 min, and coughs and chokes, and sputters but wont fully start, now after about 10 min of trying it will start and blow some nasty stuff out the exhaust like its really rich, then it will say check gauges and my oil pressure gauge shows no pressure, so I turn it back off, and restart it, it fires right up and oil pressure comes back to normal right off the rip. WTF????? any suggestions??? I have noticed that it seems to have more trouble starting since ive installed the shorty wires???? dont know why but it runs great after you get it to run, shut it off, and restart it... But i surely dont want to have to do that every morning, I think my neighbors are getting pissed, not to mention im getting pissed, and it sounds like I drive a POS!
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279672

·
FAILURE
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I definitely didnt see that, good to know im not the only one!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Yeah deff. problems with the shorty's... I might end up going back to normal wires

Ive been having alot of problems with my remote start in the morning.. It only cranks like 3 times.. dumps fuel in the cylinders and wont fire.. tries it a 2nd time and it dumps more fuel in..

So I go out and crank it by hand for 5-10 seconds, spits and sputters and finally starts..

With no cats and 3" pipes it sounds like a hot rod startin tho.. but it sucks..

I might swap to normal wires tomorrow and see how it starts the next day..

·
FAILURE
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I havent had a prob since then, but it still starts kinda funny but atleast it starts, I dont wanna go back to stock wires but if I have to I have to...

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Yeah it hasnt been that cold.. Originally I thought it was because I took my cats off.. but I think its from the wires..

Just get some full length MSD wires..

Mine really doesnt want to start after my remote start primes it full of fuel

·
FAILURE
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Full length msd wires are kinda pointless though, cause with full length wires your still using your secondary plugs as secondary plugs, that only fire when there is no compression, the point of shorty wires is to use your secondary plugs with your primary's so you have 2 spark plugs firing together. Cause your primary plugs are fired by the coil directly and does the combustion then the secondary would normally fire after to "clean" up whatever unburned fuel would be left. So I dont see full length wires being of any benefit. Or atleast thats the way I understand it.

·
Tex
3,717 Posts
i don't think it's the shorties, it could be condensation in the fuel line, weak batt because of the cold, spark plugs being a little worn. if it were shorties it would have been noticed a long time ago, we aren't the first group of guys using shorties, mind you. if it were shorties why would it just decide during the winter to not start, it should not want to start all the time when the engine is cold. in the case of the guy who started this stuff he is in canada and the temps were -30s i don't think that is the case for most of you guys, if you think it is switch to full lengths and make sure

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.