DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What controls the idle speed during cold weather startup?
I have to hold the accelerator down for a couple minutes until it gets warm enough to idle on it's own.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:help:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'd like to know that too just for general knowledge.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
I know on my 24v it has a heater that heats the incoming air from the innercooler. i thought 12vs had them also but i havnt been under the hood of one on a while. i can actually watch mine pull the volt meter down, and i can here my lift pump pull harder when it cycles in and out.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, my grid heater pulls the volt meter down, when it cycles.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My idle speed is fine when warmed up, it's around 800.

Keeping the engine going long enough to get warmed up, and reach that 800RPMs is my problem.

I have to keep the accelerator down until it's warm, then it'll maintain 800rpm.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Budd said:
My idle speed is fine when warmed up, it's around 800.

Keeping the engine going long enough to get warmed up, and reach that 800RPMs is my problem.

I have to keep the accelerator down until it's warm, then it'll maintain 800rpm.

What do you mean by warm? Up to operating temp or just till there is a little heat in the cylinders. Does it have a skip when you start it?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By skip do you mean like sputtering? I don't notice any, unless it's around 500RPM, just before it dies if I don't give it some gas. I don't get any white smoke either on startup. I guess as far as being warmed up, I'm refferring to a little heat in the cylinders, because if I keep the gas on, it'll hold it's idle on it's own, before the water temp gets up. It just takes a while.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sticking governor parts? Maybe some spray lube on the linkages coming out of the injector pump?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure I'll try that.. Are there any lubes I should keep away from the injector pump? I was just gonna use some WD-40.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I don't think WD40 will hurt anything and it does clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.