DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It is hunting between 3rd & 4th gear basically the torque convertor is locking and unlocking. Some use the BD diesel noise filter which works.
Check out this guys page he has found a permanent fix rerouting the ground cable that is near the alternator.

http://www.kentsoil.com/dodgebug1.htm
Thank you sir.... I will try this on the weekend and let you know how it goes

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Guys

Regarding this technique (http://www.kentsoil.com/dodgebug1.htm), would simply replacing the alternator solve the cycling issue since it seems to be caused by leaking diodes of an eminent failure of the alternator?

Also, I preformed the following procedure and the truck drove perfectly for one day:
1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake

Is this proof that the issue I'm having is indeed as diagnosed "GEAR CYCLING"?

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
You guys are very confusing.

46/47/48 trans are 3spds, same as the 727. The difference is overdrive (which you are calling 4th) and Lockup (which you are calling 5th).

So you have to figure out which shift is actually wrong, you've said both overdrive and lockup.

To test lockup, hit the overdrive lockout button on the shifter, and you should feel lockup (which would feel like a 4th gear). If it works, then your overdrive is indeed whats acting up.

In regular driving, you are getting a firm 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, and 3rd to OD engagement, then lockup is whats messing up for you.

Overdrive and lockup are both controlled via solenoids, with overdrive using a clutch pack, and lockup is a function of the converter. Both can wear out and burn up, but they'd leave material evidence in the pan and filter. If you're experience pressure loss in either of those hydraulic "circuits", it would also cause them to slip.

Now if your lockup solenoid is indeed cycling due to a faulty/cycling input, then you would need to figure out why. That site posted above is pretty accurate. Check your APPS, and your grounds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Okay here's my update.

I performed the ground wire reroute as suggested and so far the gear cycling has stopped. It's only been 24 hours so let's give it another month or so before we can say for certain that the problem has been rectified. Though as of now it looks promising.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well gentlemen it seems I'm back to square #1 . I woke up this morning and on my way to work my truck tranny started cycling again.

Something interesting to note; whenever the cycling starts up, I reset the APPS by doing the following procedure and the problem disappears for 1 or two days

I step on the brake before connecting the battery cables. This drains the charge from capacitors within the PCM.

I then connect the positive battery cables first and then the negative cables.

I do not start the engine. I turn the ignition key to on. Reprogram the APPS by pressing the throttle pedal slowly to the floor and then releasing it slowly.

Then I start the engine, drive, and test to check it out and the problem is gone.....

Any ideas will be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The APPS is as old as the truck itself. If it is dying it needs to die already!!!! That way I can know for sure and change it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay guys,

I wanted to give you a follow up of my situation.

1. The transmission was rebuilt to a tune of $3200
2. A new alternator was just installed because the original one failed
3. A brand new APPS was installed
4. A line conditioner was installed on the orange/deep blue wire from C1 of the PCM

End result..... Transmission not getting the over drive (4th) gear. Shifts flawlessly from gear 1-3, but not getting 4th gear.

But every time I remove the negative cables of the batteries and re-calibrate the APPS the transmission works great for a day.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed to help me solve this problem PLEASE

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
If you had the transmission rebuilt, the truck need a quick learn. If you do not, it tear itself apart using the older setting.

This is from a past DT thread ...
======================================
Rick99

The procedure is called a "quick learn". The procedure is run using a DRBIII scan tool and it causes the transmission computer to learn the volume of transmission fluid that it takes to engage each clutch. As the clutches wear over time it takes more fluid to engage them, so over time, the computer adapts by remembering the amount of fluid used to engage the clutches recently. When a transmission is replaced or overhauled or major components of the transmission are replaced (like the solenoid pack), the clutch volumes stored in the computer's memory will be incorrect and will result in rough shifts. The "quick learn" is required under such circumstances to "reset" the clutch volumes in the computer's memory to the new parameters. (ie, if you put new clutches in, it would take significantly less fluid volume to engage them.) When you run the "quick learn" the DRBIII tells you to hold the brakes and shift the transmission through each gear while the computer engages the clutches and records the volumes.

So now you know way more about this than your mechanic who apparently doesn't have a DRBIII. The "quick learn" is not required or recommended by Chrysler following a filter and tranny oil change-- and why would it be-- putting a a couple liters of new oil in does not change the volume of oil required to engage the clutches.
STANDARD PROCEDURE - QUICK LEARN PROCEDURE

The quick learn procedure requires the use of the DRBIIIt scan tool. This program allows the electronic transaxle system to recalibrate itself. This will provide the best possible transaxle operation.

NOTE: The quick learn procedure should be performed if any of the following procedures are performed:

Transaxle Assembly Replacement
Transmission Control Module Replacement
Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly Replacement
Clutch Plate and/or Seal Replacement
Valve Body Replacement or Recondition

To perform the Quick Learn Procedure, the following conditions must be met:

The brakes must be applied
The engine speed must be above 500 rpm
The throttle angle (TPS) must be less than 3 degrees
The shift lever position must stay until prompted to shift to overdrive
The shift lever position must stay in overdrive after the Shift to Overdrive prompt until the DRBIIIt indicates the procedure is complete
The calculated oil temperature must be above 60° and below 200°

(1) Plug the DRBIIIt scan tool into the diagnostic connector. The connector is located under the instrument

:dtrocks:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I understand what your saying bud, however I was having this issue prior to the rebuilding of the transmission. I guess that's what prompted the mechanic to believe a rebuild of the transmission was necessary. The only difference now is that I'm not getting the 4th gear but not getting the 4th gear just started about 3 days ago.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.