DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying that I absolutely love my Durango. Not gonna get rid of it until it completely dies.

Being that said, I purchased my 98 Durango in April 2003. It had roughly 75K miles on it and at the time of purchase the pinion bearing in the rear diff was repaired. I have not had any problems out of it until here recently.

It started with a loud echoing noise. I had a friend look at it and he said the upper ball joint on the driver side was bad. I took it to Sears and they looked at it and my friend was correct. Along with the fact that all the ball joints on the front end were bad. I had them replaced. But that was not the noise I was hearing. Sears said the driver side hub assembly was screwed up and that had to be replaced. So low and behold I let them replace all the ball joints and the hub assembly. That came out to be a whopping $1100. However, the noise was still there. The mechanic said he thought the noise was coming from the rear diff transverse case.

Next day, I took my truck to the Dodge dealership and had all the differential fluids changed (it was time for it anyway). $300 out of my pocket and it still didn't solve the problem. That very next Monday, I took it back to the dealership, told them there was a really louding roaring noise in the center, only made the noise after releasing the gas and going over 30mph, and made a grinding noise. They checked it out, said it was the pinion bearing and they would have to replace all four. Was only gonna cost me $700. Well, I told them to file it under my extended warranty. They called and made the claim and the warranty guy came out and inspected it. Well, now there is an even bigger problem. The dealership said the whole differential was going to have to be replaced because a gear broke off in the diff and that was the grinding noise I was hearing. It had tore the whole inside of the diff to pieces. The warranty is only going to cover $1000 of the $2800 for a new differential. How sh*tty is that??

Anyway, it's in the shop now, and hopefully it won't be going back for a long time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It sounds like you have had your share of problems, ball joints are a given to be replaced and it's to bad the Dodge recall did not include the 98 & 99 models. It's to bad you could not go back to the shop that repaired the rearend the first time, they may of had a warranty. Most of us on this site will not go to a dealer unless it's under warranty and when the warranty runs out it's best to have a shop close to home or work that you can depend on.
No matter where you take your Durango you really need to be pro-active. You need to check their work, if you take it in for transmission fluid/filter change you better crawl under and be sure the pan looks like it's dropped, you need to check everything that a dealer or independent shop does--it's just smart. Get to know your Durango very well and it will last you a long time and they look great! We have the same year Durango and in general they are great vehicles but you have to take care of them.
I am fighting with a Big O Tires shop right now about replacing upper and lower ball joints 12/22/04 (5 months ago) they never replaced the lowers and I paid for it------they have a BIG PROBLEM, it's this kind of crap that goes on with most repair centers, you need to check their work.
You need to go to the control panel and fill out the information about your Durango so we all know what you have, you don't have to have any mod's, we don't care but tell us about what you have.
Fred T.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
you've had your share of problems. I've only experienced a few
passenger side door lock
speed sensor
IAC Sensor
TPS sensor
Crankshaft sensor
Rear wheel sensor
Battery

Not too bad for a 99

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rock, I would have replaced those 5 items if I only drove 7.5 miles round trip to work every day. Last week I drove 832 miles, my job takes me everywhere and I love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. I would like to say though, regarding the ball joints, that Sears gives a lifetime warranty and so I don't have to worry about them bad boys anymore. As for the rear diff, it is going to come with a 3yr/36k warranty from Dodge. I don't really know alot about mechanics, being a female that has nobody to teach her about the lowdown on vehicles. I try my hardest to learn what I can from others. However, I am going to start questioning and inspecting when I take my baby in for services.

Tanya

·
Registered
229 Posts
Tandenish, you have the best group of members here on this site that can help you with anything------just ask your question and no question is stupid. We all started somewhere and your starting at the best place. Don't forget your singature in the control panel.
Fred T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.