DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
The alarm relay and the ASR are different. How do you know the (asr) relay is good? Does the alarm you have on the truck have remote start? Even if it doesn't it may have an ignition cut off. This could be the problem. Sounds like it is after market.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Moparite are you talking about the automatic shutdown relay ? If so it's good i changed it out, and you can hear it click. My fuelpump is working also, no power to the coil are the injectors,The mechanic who told me it was the computer took asd relay out has hot all the time hot with key on has ground he jumped awire between to of the pins 85-30 ? i forgot which two but anyway when it didn't crank with the jumper wire, He said it was the computer, Also with the jumper wire in it had power at the coil and jectors but would go away when you tried starting it, And come back when you release the key weird

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Moparite are you talking about the automatic shutdown relay ? If so it's good i changed it out, and you can hear it click. My fuelpump is working also, no power to the coil are the injectors,The mechanic who told me it was the computer took asd relay out has hot all the time hot with key on has ground he jumped awire between to of the pins 85-30 ? i forgot which two but anyway when it didn't crank with the jumper wire, He said it was the computer, Also with the jumper wire in it had power at the coil and jectors but would go away when you tried starting it, And come back when you release the key weird

I don't know about on the 2g's but my older(86's and down) dodges when I would have this issue it was always either the Ignition switch or the starter relay

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Hope you changed it with a new one (the ASR) The starter is on another circuit and does not work off the ASR and so is the fuel pump. If you don't have power to the o2 sensor,ignition coil, alternator field and the fuel injectors with the ASR energized, There is another issue. You need to check voltage before and after the ASR with the key on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Allright a freind of mines boss has a wrecked 99 5.9 auto,company truck, He gave me the computer,truck cranked right up and did the samething as the compter i bought, after about ten mins. of running Quit chargin check engine light comes on won't start again code p1389,I'm thinking theres a short in the alt.circult are the asd thats frying the computers. Where do i start trying to find it I have a multimeter

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take a look at the following link.
I used this while trying to find my issue.

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/4cyn2-dodge-ram-1500-99-dodge-ram-5-9-auto-quit-chargin.html

I found the bare copper wire on my crank sensor, fixed it, as i am sure this was shorting the computer.

Bought a puter from Comp. exchange, and still same results.

Took it to the stearler, and they verified the new puter was no good. They installed a new one, flashed it for the VIN, and the truck has run great since.

Have a dealer check your puter, after you verify all fuses and wires, and CRANK SENSOR is correct.

Good Luck!
I was there, and it took 2 weeks to correct everything.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Guess what that just answer link thats me,thats my truck sprinkles can't figure it out turned it over to someone elese, Who has gave me a couple more things to check.I can't afford to go to the dealer they qoted me a price of 928 for just the computer then the labor and flash your talking 15oo or more

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well i went thru everything with a online tech again dignoise bad computer,So i sent the one back,{still no refund** Ordered one from autocomputerresources,Installed last tuesday truck runed perfect till today samething quit chargin checkengine light comes on stuck in 2 gear samething nostart code p1389 again, Also this time my blower fan blows on or off now, Theres got to be a wiring problem, Should i go to dodge or what? This is the only problem i've had with this truck in 8 years runs and shifts good till this code p1389 took over

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well checked today this time the wiring harness melted to one of the plugs on the computer, all the way to the ac switch on the inside Guess to fix it i'd need a new wiring harness

·
Registered
462 Posts
Man oh man, one bad thing after another.
You have to be shorting out big time ,,, Can you tell which wire produced the meltdown ?

Fuses are supposed to pop before anything like that happens, you have a major defect, maybe more than 1.
If $$ is tight, try craigslist. Ask in the job offered category, looking for a certified automotive electrical technician looking to make some $$ on the side.
If he actually is a pro electrical guy, he should have a quality scan tool, that right there might dispose your problem, or at least give you a path to the right direction, without costing you a paycheck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I know it's been awhile since i''ve messed with the truck, Been driving my old 90 d 150 old faithful, Anyway the pin that melted is the green-orangestripe wire goes to the a.s.d reley,I;ve took the whole wiring harness off unwraped it cannot find no burnt wires, Now i've took the steering colume out and dash still havn't found anything wrong,

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.