DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil yesterday, and I used a K&N oil filter and Mobil 1 full synthetic. Now everything went fine(filter fit and all), but when I started the truck the oil pressure went much higher than I remember it used to go. Just wanted to know if anyone had this problem as well. It dosen't ever peg out the needle or anything, but just quite a bit higher. I'm sure it isn't the oil because I used 5w-20(what Hemis need apparently), so it has to be the filter. Any insight would be great, Thanks.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Where did it go, to 3/4? How large is the filter compared to stock?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Got a pic? I know my indicator is dead nuts CENTER... You may want to try another filter to see if it does the same thing. I use the FRAM HP-1 and have NEVER had any issues with them. But it is possible to get a bad filter I would think... heck they make MILLIONS of filters each year.... If you do get a new filter I recomend the H-P1.... Its a MONSTER with HUGE flow holes!

If the pressure is HIGH this means your oil would most likely go through the BY-PASS and skip going through the filter entirely... I would not lose too much sleep over it but I would set out to fix it ASAP.

It could also be a faulty reading from your sending unit... If changing the filter does not fix it then its a safe bet its the sending unit.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
15,912 Posts
I have the HP-1 equivilent K&N filter. Larger capacity like the HP-1. Never had any issues with oil pressure. Replace the filter like stated above and see if the pressure drops.

·
Meet Hemi!!
5,728 Posts
Sometimes if the oil is low the oil pressure rises. I'm not saying its low or that you didn't put 7 quarts in but have you checked to see if it is?

·
mafosa
824 Posts
sounds like great advise to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The filter housing and internals all looked like the MOPAR filter I yanked off of the truck. And yes a full 7 qt. went in to the truck. My worry is that if it is bypassing the filter, then i'll start circullating dirty oil in a couple of weeks. I might need to try the FRAM HP-1.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
IWantMorePower said:
The filter housing and internals all looked like the MOPAR filter I yanked off of the truck. And yes a full 7 qt. went in to the truck. My worry is that if it is bypassing the filter, then i'll start circullating dirty oil in a couple of weeks. I might need to try the FRAM HP-1.
You could also consider Amsoil's EaO15 filter. Flows just as much as the HP-1 and it's filtration abilities are superior. Ken (o2man98), at Modern Oils, can hook you up at preferred pricing. :)

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=232

Sil

Attachments

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
SilsHemi said:
You could also consider Amsoil's EaO15 filter. Flows just as much as the HP-1 and it's filtration abilities are superior. Ken (o2man98), at Modern Oils, can hook you up at preferred pricing. :)

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=232

Sil
How much does Amsoil want for this filter? I am going to switch over to amsoil fluids with the new motor, so I will probably go with their filter as well.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
How much does Amsoil want for this filter? I am going to switch over to amsoil fluids with the new motor, so I will probably go with their filter as well.
Matt,

I don't remember. Was a awhile ago. I bought like 4 at that time. Check with Ken. He gives all DT members preferred pricing on anything bought. Very cool guy as well. :)

Sil

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
SilsHemi said:
Matt,

I don't remember. Was a awhile ago. I bought like 4 at that time. Check with Ken. He gives all DT members preferred pricing on anything bought. Very cool guy as well. :)

Sil
Will do. I bought my tranny fluid from Ken and I was very happy with him. I wont go through anyone else for Amsoil :tup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually my oil pressure just planed off which makes me a little more worried. Maybe something was trapped in it and just dislodged.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your factory oil pressure gauge is just like a light on the newer Rams. Either it reads pressure or it does not. I believe all the big three are now doing this. I once asked why at a dealer and got the answer that customers seen pressure fall in warm temps with the engine idling hot and were concerned so they basically give you a light in the form of a gauage that looks good at all conditions. This is normal to have lower pressure at low RPMs especially running with the low viscosity oil we now use today. I know Ford and Dodge now use this type of gauge and I heard GM does too. I put in an Auto Meter oil guage in my truck and my pressure swings all the time depending on RPM but the factory guage holds the same no matter the rpm. I don't know why you would be seeing a difference with yours but I am not sure what year your truck is either. Maybe your oil sender is shorting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The guage is a normal guage in every way. And yes it moves with RPM, but it is analog which means no real value (no numbers) to go by. I'll try to get some pics of idling and with some revs.

·
Boost, you say!?
1,304 Posts
The oil pressure gauge is connected to a SWITCH near the oil filter. The gauge gives no meaningful information other than the engine is running. If the oil pressure is indeed too low, a warning light comes on and the computer points the needle to zero.

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
The older 3G rams have an "oil-indicator" (dummy-guage).
The newer ones 06 or 07 and up have a REAL guage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.