DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just installed my 8000k hid kit that I got into my 06 ram. Man they look sweet but heres the problem...they work fine on/off/etc. but when the truck is running, they dont turn on. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought maybe I would try hooking up the negative to a chassis ground instead of the headlight socket wire. Havent checked to see if the voltages change when the truck is running, but I would not think that is the problem. They say the operating voltages are 9-16v. Going to try to work on em after work but I hoped someone had a clue whats up...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you hook up relays for them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, you need to make sure that you have a relay system connected to the kit. Some generic kits will not come with this and I can't stress enough how important it is. If your not careful you can end up frying the light switch relay within the vehicle as I did on a Honda civic when I directly connected and that relay was damn near impossible to replace. I would start by checking the oem light plug with a voltimeter first with the vehicle running and make sure that your getting ample current first, then check to see if the polarity is wired correctly at the ballast. Is this a low beam set-up or bi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is just a low beam, and I did not hook up relays...I figured the stock bulbs draw more power than the hid's so i didnt think a relay was necessary. I just dont understand why everythink works fine until the truck is running. The hid's say they operate from 9-16 volts, so wtf? I will try relays and I am also going to check the output on the stock wires with the truck running to see if anything changes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
HID ballasts take alot of energy to start up, but once they do, they use less than halogen bulbs, I'd hook up relays and see what happens. Not only that, but over time chances are you will damage your stock wiring if you don't hook up relays and run the HID's directly off the battery, the stock wires aren't designed to handle the huge spike draw that the ballasts require.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK heres what I found out. I did a little searching and it turns out the 06 has a light management system. When the engine is running I only get 1 volt at the low beam wire. I guess the spike is enough amperage to trick the computer into thinking there is a short, and it kills the power to the lights. What I did is hook up 1 relay to start up both of the hid's.(I only had one laying around.) The only thing I am noticing is that when I am driving every 5-10 minutes or so the hids spike almost like they are shutoff and on real quick. I am wondering if the voltage at the input of the relay drops off for a second? I need to figure out a proper way to hook this up so I dont have to worry about losing my lights some night when I am not so close to home. The info I read about the light management deal is on the britebox website. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your are correct. HID's spike then fall upon ignition at start up for voltage. Make sure you have the HID's hooked up correctly for + and - (which obviously you do, I assume). As halogens bulbs it does not matter if they are connected backwards, they will still operate and function the same. HID's systems (because of the ballast) will not fire correctly if they are not connected properly. Another common symptom with HID's is the inability to fire both bulbs or maintain current to the ballast under start up. This causes 1 light, typically the driver side to fire and not the passenger ballast to ignite. If you having problems with a voltage spike, causing your ballast to fail or not ignite properly, try making a power relay that runs off your battery and is activated by a lead wire from your OEM headlight harness. I would recommend using some 10 gauge wire from the power relay to the ballast and this should allow more than enough voltage to enter the ballast for start up and maintain low suppression current during normal driving conditions. Hopefully this will help you out a bit, as I am surprised your lights are giving you this much trouble. Since they work when the vehicle is off, and you are only having problems when the vehicle is running, it sounds as though your not getting/keeping enough "juice in the lines" and the power relay option should clear things up and save you OEM headlight harnesses at the same time. Let me know if this works out for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info- I already hooked up a relay and they work good now- the only problem is the spike that I get every little while that makes the lights flicker brightly for a split second. I need to check whether the output that is triggering the relay is doing it with 1 volt or 12 volts(thanks to the light management thingie). I know that the relay is the key, I may just wire up an auxiliary switch to be sure I have no problems in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.