DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, Im in the process of replacing(95% done) the head on my mothers 92 Dodge Spirit with a 2.5 liter in it. The old head had a blown gasket and bent valves so it was time to replace it along with several other parts that I figured should be done at the same time. I purchased a rebuilt head from Advance Auto Parts and I have the rebuilt head in and almost done and installed. I made a small mistake after I took the old head out. I waited to strip the old parts that would need to be switched to the new head till after I had the new head in! Tonight I took the sensors off the old head and I installed them on the new one, then I took a part off the old head that is just below the thermostat, it is a little metal tube that is about an inch and a half long(I call it a water outlet). It screws into the head below the thermostat and when it is in it faces the ground. It allows you to attach a coolant hose to it which runs to the back of the engine (I believe it runs to the heater core). When I tried the screw it into the new head it will not screw in, I tried for about two hours and it just will not fit. The threads on the piece and on the head look perfect, and it will screw back into the old head but not the new one. We had some problems getting it out of the old head, we heated it with a torch to get it out. I don't know if it is a different size? If it is a different size it is very close to the same, it just will not start to thread on. It looks like it should fit. I called a few of the local parts stores to see if I could get a new one of these little peace's but no one had a listing for the part (im not even sure what to call it) nor did anyone have any idea of what I was talking about. Im not sure what to do and any advice would be a huge help (my mother wants her car back!!). Does anyone know what this part is even called?? Thanks in advance..........Phil.......

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's called a heater hose nipple, but I don't think that's your problem.

Probably what happened is that when the head rebuilder (or whoever) removed the nipple out of the head, it stripped the threads out and they never bothered to tap new threads. The nipple is steel and the head is aluminium so it's easy to ruin the threads. You'll probably need to find a thread tap that matches the threads on the nipple and cut new threads.

threads threads threads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.