DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I go into the stealership to get an oil change and when they are finished they tell me that because of my oversized tires the front axle seal is is leaking and the axle boots are torn. This sounds like a load of crap to me since my tires are not even that big they are only 33s. Anyone else experience this problem?

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Well, the stock 275/60/20s are 33" tall, but only 10.8" wide. Any idea how much more the new 33s weigh vs the stock tires? In any case, I am not sure this is a common problem when larger than stock tires are used.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I don't know how much more they weigh I do know the ones I have on there now weight about 72lbs each.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
I could understand stress on ball joints, axle bearings, etc, but I would not think that seals would be under more stress, but WTF do I know ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm no mechanic so I'm not sure what would cause the boots to tear or the seal to leak, but I have had the truck on some pretty rough rocky terrain not to mention snow.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
I'm no mechanic so I'm not sure what would cause the boots to tear or the seal to leak, but I have had the truck on some pretty rough rocky terrain not to mention snow.
It seems like the size of the tires would not matter in that situation :dunno:

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
if you have ever burried the front end, that can tear the boots spinning them in dirt/ice. i doubt the tires have caused the seals to go bad, but if they are leaking, they should be replaced.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had the front end buried in some deep snow and had to be pulled out. But the power steering pump went out when that happened and they should have noticed that when they replaced it.

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
I have had the front end buried in some deep snow and had to be pulled out. But the power steering pump went out when that happened and they should have noticed that when they replaced it.
naw, i doubt they would have, you usually dont see the tear, you see all the lube from inside slung around, and that usually takes awhile, and when i did my P/S pump, i didnt even lift the truck you can do it from the top.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
X2^^^^

Why is it that people who put 37's and 35's on them don't have the same problem??? BS....

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is full of it to me. The tires should have no bearing on the dust cover boots on the half shafts. Not to mention they are practically the same size as the stock 275/60/20's that come on these trucks. Have you looked for yourself to see if they are ripped?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
thats poop stinky poop

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I tried to look without getting under the truck but I haven't actually gotten under and taken a real good look. I think they just don't want to fix it under the warranty and are blaming the "Oversized Tires".

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I have seen the tear just running on the street- ice,snow,slush gets up there & freezes when you get a real cold snap and it self destructs.

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
Let me guess, passenger side front axle seal coming out of the diff right?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no idea I haven't been under there to take a look myself and the dealership just said that the seal was leaking and both boots were torn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.