DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 99 Durango SLT Friday and love it. I kept saying Ok, with gas prices the way they are, theres NO WAY I'm buying an SUV... let alone a V8. But I've had a few Dodges before - my first car was an Aries K. I drive a Jeep Wrangler now, so I thought well, it DOES have the 318 in it. It was a locally owned truck in nice shape so I bought it.

Only problems I've found is that the BRAKE light is on, on the dash and the speedometer is dead until you go about 20+MPH then it jumps up where it should be. Works perfect until you slow below 20MPH then it hits 0 again. I done a lot of googling and say a thing about a speed sensor or something. My brakes work perfect otherwise. They feel good, stop fast. The fluid is kinda dark so I need to change it, but I don't think that's why the lights coming on.

Any ideas?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Dirty brake fluid won't cause a light, but it'd be a good idea to flush the brake system with fresh fluid.

There is a speed sensor on the rear axle that for the ABS system. When these go bad they will throw a brake light and/or ABS light. This could be the source of your speedo problem as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the speed sensor was what someone said when I found that post on google about the guy with the same problem as me. Well, it was almost the same. He said he got an ABS light and the speedo problem. I don't think I even have an ABS light. When I turn the key and the lamp test lights up all the lights I never see one. Is it true that some of these just have REAR ABS?

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
Its the rear speed sensor.

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
Yes. I've had the same problem before. Very easy to replace. Unplug the wires remove one bolt then pull it out. Put a little oil (just stick your finger in the hole where the sensor came out and get a little oil on your finger) around the new o-ring on the new sensor stick it in bolt it up and plug the wire back in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet! I just called AutoZone and surprisingly they're only $25.99 for the sensor. I was expecting (with my luck) it'd be over $100. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Careful. Most parts stores do not carry the ABS / Speed sensor. They have the transmission output speed sensor. The ABS sensor is a dealer only part. Call around. Dealer prices vary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.