DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I love my D and knew I when I bought a 1998 w/ 98k miles I would need to fix a few things. The dealership provided a 1000 mile warranty when I bought it last October and I realized the AC didn't work so I had them take care of it. They told me it needed freeon and they added 2-3 bottels and the AC worked when I picked it up. Now that it is warm and I need it again...it only blows hot air. Looking at old posts I see the core is a common thing to go on the 98's and the dealership says they will not know anything for sure until they tear into it but the likly senerio is a bad core. The dealership quoted me $885.00 to fix the AC and said that was the best they could do on the price.

My question is, Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so is the price reasonable?

Thanks,

Chris

·
"TRUCKIN"
269 Posts
i have the same problem, did the freon myself, but it didnt work at all, and havent gotten it looked at yet. im getting it done by the end of may........hopefully yours will be done by then, so i kno whats wrong with mine

·
'99 Durango SLT
283 Posts
It sounds like you have a freon leak. Is the dealership suggesting that you have a leak in the core?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they are making an assumption because the tech said that the core is what seems to go wrong. With an AC should I have the dealer do this or go to an AC shop and maybe non OEM?

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Chris, the 1st dealer should've fixed the leak when they added the freon. That's the reason it needed it in the 1st place. We had a 94T+C, the condensor and both evaps were leaking, praise the ext warr!
BMXer, once you lose the pressure (you haveto fix your leak too) then air gets in. You need to pull a vacumn on the system then charge it. Add oil, too). Depending on the location of the leak, you usually see the oil on everything.

·
Licalotapus
107 Posts
I agree. Why didn't the dealership find the leak? If it needed 3 bottles, that's the whole charge right there!! That sucker was completely flat. Pressurize it with nitrogen or refrigerant (not anything else) and you should be able to hear it leaking out.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
They have a green dye that I thought was antifreeze. I dropped it off again because it looked like coolant was still leaking (did I mention they did a rad. too?). The svc mgr. was like 'duh, it's not antifreeze'. HTF was I supposed to know? That's when they swapped the condensor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I called the dealer where I bought it and repeated whats above "The system was flat and the lak should have been fixed when it was recharged." The owner of the place that that is just an openion and the warranty was 1 month or 1000 miles. However, they do not do their own service and he remembers me purchasing the vehicle and will call where he had it fixed and let me know if they can do anything. (code for bend over) Anyone know of a good AC shop around Milwaukee or Delavan WI?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.