DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey has anyone heard of a problem with the factory tires? I picked up my 05 SLT Wednesday and already a problem with the tires. The truck shakes bad at and around 60-65 MPH. It tends to smooth out around 70 but as soon as you get anywhere near that 60 range it is really anoying. Dealer is sending me to Goodyear tomorrow to have them look at it. The dealer already rebalanced and did a rotate on them. Anybody have any ideas what this could be?????? Help if you can before I go to Goodyear tomorrow. Thanks

Patsfan

:help:

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
I don't have this problem with my truck. How many miles are on yours? Mine is only at 800 miles as of today.

Be sure to let us know what Goodyear says.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
it happens. no big deal. see if the dealer is able to run a road force balance on the tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Goodyear replaced 2 tires today, said they were bad. We shall see.
Ill update after I drive it more.

Patsfan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi all, new to the site!

I'm intersted in how your tires work out for you. I have an 05 Laramie Dakota i picked up last week and i'm having similar problems with vibration. I plan on bringing it back in for service, hopefully i won't have to fight to get it right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem- Goodyear replaced 2 (the rears) and the seemed to be O.K. for about 5000 miles, the the same, or a little worse, vibration started with them too. I went back, all Goodyear would do is re-balance them at my cost, and with about 8 oz. on each tire, it only helped a little.
I've done a lot of investigation on highway speed vibration on 2005 Daks on several forums, and it is happening quite a bit. Some dealers are telling owners that they think it might be the rear axle-(!).
Personally, I think it is a bad run of Goodyear RS-As, and they want to be as unhelpful as possible hoping to have owners buy new (round) tires and not have to warranty all Dakota tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so far so good, but really havent done much highway, thinking about going with 20's here in the next week or so. Will advise more as I can update

Patsfan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Exactly-
I made the switch to 20x9" Ziniks and Bridgestone Dueler Hp's- it rides a lot smoother and looks great. The OEM tires are just junk IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hay , Need To Know Abouut Tire Problem . Have A Tire Vibration At All Speeds . Dealer Bals & Rotated . Still There

·
Registered
16 Posts
OEM Tire problem

Get a tire shop to put your truck on a lift, and pick all 4 wheels off the floor. Crank the truck and put it in Drive/ 1st gear. Go behind the truck and look at the tires as the wheels turn. If you see significant "run-out" side to side and in roundness( the tread appears to go up and down, while the wheel runs true)-the tires are no good. You can turn the fronts by hand and look for the same thing.
The tire manufacturer replaced two tires(only) with exactly the same tires, and after some miles, the vibration/ problem returned on my truck.
I replaced the tires with another brand of tire, and it rides smoothly now.
I will not buy the original brand of tire again.
I saw a post on Edmunds where Dodge told one Dak owner that it might be the rear axle. I don't think so.

2005 Dak SLT w/ 12K miles.

·
Blue Oval Veteran
86 Posts
Goodyear is also a major supplier of OEM tires for Ford as well, and the complaints on the Ford forums are exactly the same. Guys complain of vibration, shake, odd wear patterns, belt seperation, you name it. Goodyear is a plague to more than just Dodge owners.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Frist thing i do with a new truck is ditch the oem tires. No one is going to sell a truck or car with high end meats unless you special order them. They are thinking of their bottom line not yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.