DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my friends shop replace the gasket and do a tune up , once they put it all back together and started it, it was blowing smoke like crazy! They thought maybe a couple of vacuum lines were crossed but it still smoked. The next day they tore it apart replaced everything agian put it all together still smokes like a freight train. They are going through it again trying to figure it out.
Anyone have an idea what may cause this?

·
Registered
994 Posts
white smoke, black smoke, or blue smoke?

·
Too Big to Sneak
449 Posts
How long did you let it run while it was smoking? If you only ran it for a moment or two after discovering the 'smoking,' then you might not have a problem at all. When you have the intake off, there's a chance of getting coolant, oil, or even some other fluids (cleaners, etc) down in the cylinders, and it'll need a few minutes to burn off.

That's normal.

Now, if it ran for a long period of time (more than 4 or 5 minutes) with no indication of the 'smoking' letting up, then yeah - you have something bigger going on.

Also curious as to what 'color' smoke you have as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Over the summer I picked up a Ram with a blown plenum gasket. The motor never smoked until I replaced the plenum gasket. Then it would not smoke at idle but after you held it up over 2000rpms it filled the area with blue smoke.

I never figured out exactly what it was. Compression was good, didnt do a leakdown. Instead I swapped the motor since it had over 100k anyway and I got one for short dough.

I have heard that if you drive it for a long time with the plenum gasket blown your motor will smoke a great deal after you put it back together. In my case I had 150 - 160psi on all cylinders.

This is not the first I have heard of this exact occurance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to say that it is still getting oil in the intake.
I believe the smoke was white but not sure on that.
They said they let it run for several minutes and it never quit.
The motor only has 63,000 miles

·
Registered
454 Posts
If your still getting oil in the intake then the person who did the work did not know what he was doing or the intake is warped which I would find hard to believe.

White smoke means the motor is burning coolant. Usually this is a head gasket but the Dodge motors are not known for blowing head gaskets. You might want to take the truck to another shop and have them look at it.

Black smoke = fuel burning (running rich)
Blue smoke = oil burning

·
Too Big to Sneak
449 Posts
It sounds like maybe they pinched or distorted a gasket during installation, or didn't get all of the funk cleaned out around the water jacket(s).

Yes indeed, white 'smoke' is coolant... it's actually steam and whatever chemical burn-off that occurs from the other stuff in anti-freeze.

When I did mine, I wasn't very good about making sure that absolutely nothing fell into the heads (coolant, oil, small bits of gasket material, etc...), and mine fired right up with almost zero initial 'smoking' or weirdness even with the probably couple of teaspoons of coolant that dribbled into several of the head intake openings.

Good luck with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.