DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, is there any way to create a preload on the rear suspension? My ride is not the greatest, to say the least. My Air Assist bags help a lot with keeping the rear from bottoming out, but they hurt the ride quality (IMO.) I noticed today that while I have about a 200 pound load in the bed (it might be more) and about 35 pounds of air in my bags, my truck rides better than stock! I'm not exaggerating, it's an amazing difference. Now, obviously I don't want to have to drive around with a bunch of weight in the back all of the time, so I'm wondering if there's any way to "preload" or create the effect of weight on the rear suspension. Is this what traction bars are for? My problem seems to be that the rear suspension is so stiff, even with the minimum 5 pounds of air in my bags, that it just kind of bounces over the bumps in the road instead of abosrbing them. Help guys?

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really what I'm looking for, but I understand why you posted it. Maybe a better question is: What can I do to keep my rear wheels planted to the ground better?

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Get a 4th gen, they ride great. ;)

My 04 rode like that as well, so I don't think it's really a lowered thing since you have the same leaf springs. I didn't have air bags and it still rode much better with a couple hundred pounds of payload. You might try removing or clamping the overload spring.

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My overloads have been off the truck for well over a year...I know there's got to be something that can accomplish this.

·
Registered
713 Posts

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys.

·
RANGO
1,655 Posts
Maybe a better question is: What can I do to keep my rear wheels planted to the ground better?
Quality shocks.

What shocks are you running? I ha an Eibach Pro Truck Kit installed with the Eibach Pro Dampers. Corners like a sports car, no nose dive when braking and the Pro Dampers keep my tires planted! Rides like a dream for a lowered truck.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
David, I just pulled those "helper" springs off my truck, If you'd like to try them, ill send them to you for the cost of shipping. When mounted behind the axle they made a good difference, and the further towards the shackle you mount them, the more the stiffen the ride. Since you have bags, they would need to be mounted behind them.

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good Grant, just let me know how much. What did you replace them with?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
lakewood traction bars. when I notched the rear, I no longer needed them to "stiffen" the ride to prevent bottoming out, so I moved them in front of the axle to act like traction bars. I can ship them to you in a flat rate usps box more than likely, I can find out an exact price for you tomorrow, but I think it would be somewhere around $14-$18 or so. They started to rust, So ill blast them and give them a coat of paint for you if you want.

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You don't have to do that (oh, and that was a hell of a score on those traction bars...). I'll paint them when I get them. I also didn't realize you got notched, must be nice! Just send me an invoice to [email protected] (my PP address.)

EDIT: When you say "blast them," are you referring to sandblasting them? If so, I may take you up on that part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.