DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware of a source for preformed (mild steel) brake lines for the Ram 2500? I've searched the various online Mopar sources, and even EGR (they apparently have just the full set available).

I've replaced the rear lines and the front to back, but I sure would like some prebent lines for the front!

· Registered
332 Posts
What year?

You can try www.classictube.com . If they don't have it, you can send in your lines and they will make duplicates, keep it on file, and give you a discount since you provided a pattern. Of course this this requires you to park your truck for a few weeks. Give them a call, they are nice to deal with.

I sent all of mine in but it's a 1500 so it's probably different than yours.

· Registered
827 Posts
you're serious??????.........cut your lines off at the fittings........lay them on the floor and MAKE a matching line..........cheap pipe bender and some time.......MAKE it as pretty or as ugly as you want............flaring tools are inexpensive or run it down to a nearby shop and have them put flares/fittings on each end..........just take your fittings in with you.......they'll want to know if they're double flares OR bubble flares............you can even paint your lines to match your truck while you're at it HAHAHA>>>>

most shops will just bend as they go when replacing a leaking line.......i usually leave the old line there........secure the new line to the old, attach both ends,bleed,done........if you want a clean,pretty job........take it out and bend at will till you're satisfied........

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gramol said:
you're serious??????.........cut your lines off at the fittings........lay them on the floor and MAKE a matching line..........cheap pipe bender and some time.......MAKE it as pretty or as ugly as you want............flaring tools are inexpensive or run it down to a nearby shop and have them put flares/fittings on each end..........just take your fittings in with you.......they'll want to know if they're double flares OR bubble flares............you can even paint your lines to match your truck while you're at it HAHAHA>>>>
You know, that sounds like an easy way to match them up. Cutting them close and having a model to bend to should make it pretty easy (somewhat).

I saw a decent brake line kit on Ebay = $34.00 for a good tubing bender and double bend flaring kit. Don't know how easy it is to do a double flare. I can remember flaring some lines a long time ago and I had trouble keeping them from cracking. Probably depends a lot on the brake line. I think all of the front lines are 3/16 lines.

I've also seen that you can (cheaply) buy brake lines with fittings already on - many different lengths, so maybe it will be easier to just bend some of those that are the right length.

Anyway, thanks to all. I don't see how Dodge can get away without a recall on these lines. 47k and I blew the rear line (on a hill). The garage was unable to find a line anywhere to fit the load proportioning setup on the dodge, so he just installed the line without it. There's a TSB on how to do that.
It sure does stop well now. Seems like all wheels are grabbing better.

He did say not to get crazy with the brake pedal going down a hill with my 8' Fisher on the front.. :) I do have some ballast against the tailgate though. Fisher recommends 360# and that's what I have in sand tubes so that puts it up to the recommended weight per the TSB.

All of my front lines are just about rusted through. I'm really afraid to hit the brakes too hard so this has to get done.

Then the next thing to fix will be the terrible steering (sawing back and forth). New (rebuilt) steering box, trackbar end, and that well known steering stabilizer (Darrens?) were put on and it's still doing the same.

47,000 miles. Just doesn't seem right that they (Dodge can get away without a recall) I've seen (hundreds?) of others with the same problems. T'aint right!

· Registered
827 Posts
it's not the 47000 k's on it ......it's the 8 years of MA(is that maryland......maine?????? don't know i'm canadian) rain/ snow/ salt on the roads plus salt air.............typical up here to start seeing brake lines and fuel lines going at 6-10 years......

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gramol said:
it's not the 47000 k's on it ......it's the 8 years of MA(is that maryland......maine?????? don't know i'm canadian) rain/ snow/ salt on the roads plus salt air.............typical up here to start seeing brake lines and fuel lines going at 6-10 years......
W. Mass. Yup, plenty of salt here on the roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.