Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all ....

Been trying to get all the little persnickity things adjusted/repaired before it starts getting cold out....

One of the things is a little too much slop in the steering... (79' PW 4x4)
Tie rod ends, ball joints, drag link, etc all in good shape... I noticed that the steering wheel moves a couple of inches either way before the pitman arm begins to move...
My rig has PS and the steering gearbox is the original, so it could be getting just plain ol' worn out and sloppy (Although the PS works fine and no leaks) but I'm thinking that the pre-load adjustment needs adjusting? There is nothing in my Haynes manuel about this... Anyone know the procedure? (I know about the locknut and screw and I also know that if you get it adjusted too tight, it's not a good thing...)

Thanks in advance guys...

·
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chump said:
I believe that 79 was the first year for this problem, check yours and see if it's shot.

http://ramchargercentral.com/index.php?action=howtoshow;id=16
Hey there Chump! Thanks! I went back out to the shop and there does seem to be a lot of slop in that joint... Up, down, back, forth, in, out....
I would have never of thought to look at that...

I guess the rebuild kit is in order and I figure I might as well replace the rag joint as well.... I hope that fixes everything up (If nothing else, I can at least cross it off the list ;) )

Thanks again....

Although, I'd still like to know if the pre-load is adjusted correctly.... :D

·
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, ya know what Mopower? I think if Dodge has em', I'm gonna buy two at that price... As the article states, big tires and suspension lift takes it's toll...
Might not be a bad idea to have a spare in the shop, eh? ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.