DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Powertrax No-Slip traction system. Has anyone ever used one of these? My limited slip fell apart and they make one of these to fit in the stock case... just seems like a decent upgrade with out having to mess with setting gears again.

Does anyone know what the difference is in a Sure-Grip and a Trac Lok? Powertrax website has both listed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a powertrax replacing an open differential. So far, I love it. I was in a muddy yard, that would have had me spinning in the past, and walked right out of it. This morning we had 5" of new snow and I went trough it all in 2wd. I cannot say enough good about this upgrade so far.

Dave

·
Diego Serna
420 Posts
Powertrax's are pretty durable unit, they will last longer if you truck is an automatic. The shock of dumping the clutch in a manual tranny can destroy you ring and pinion in the rear. I did this in my YJ a couple years back, i had to rebuild the entire rearend.

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
The Powertrax No-Slip that is designed to replace the clutch pack and spider gears inside a Traclock is an automatic "Locker", not a limited slip like the Traclock.

It will offer 100% lockup all the time, but does allow for turning and having the outside wheel spin faster than the inside. While it is allowing this, you will hear a light clicking noise, or tire chirping if you are under load.

You are right that it does not require resetting your ring and pinion as it basically just replaces the insides of the Traclock carrier. For a handy shade tree mechanic, you can do it yourself too in a day.

It will act alot like a full Detroit Locker without the harshness or strength for that matter, but it is a good upgrade.

Driving with an auto locker is a bit different than with your old Limited Slip unit and may take some getting used to especially if you have a manual tranny.

The nice part is that it is a "locker". If you get one tire up in the air, the other tire still has 100% torque where as a limited slip will loose traction in that situation.

Go for it, you will like it, especially if you do any trail running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.