DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know really anyhting about the power wire but i have a superchip on my 03 QC 5.7 and i wanted to get a power wire.. can i have both the powerwire and Superchip?

· Ramistered User
6,465 Posts
I don't think it's been a discussion over the '03's that I know of but there was a write up about SC and PW working together some time a go. I just copy and paste the first part. There's a whole thread about it.

Quote: At some point I may have been unclear as to what SC's did to render the PW useless, when using a 2004-2006 Hemi SC's tune and a PW together, so I will attempt to clear up any confusion.

SC's did not disable the inlet air temperature (IAT) sensor reading in the PCM. The IAT sensor reading is needed to set up base fueling and delivered spark advance. The IAT reading with a SC's tune installed will function and look perfectly normal when viewed with a scan tool. There are two spark advance offset tables that SC's disabled within their calibrations, one being hot coolant spark retard and the other being hot IAT spark retard.

Most base EFI calibration work is done with an IAT reading between 77°-90°F and offset tables are used to modify the base settings according to the actual IAT. The normal function of a EFI control system with IAT sensor feedback is to retard the spark advance as inlet air temperatures increase. The normal function of the PW is to delay this spark retard until the IAT gets a little hotter than the stock calibration by lowering the IAT reading set to the PCM by the IAT sensor.

If the actual IAT reading is 88°F when the PW is installed the reading sent to the PCM with the same 88°F IAT temp will be roughly 70°F. Tricking the PCM by giving it a false IAT reading that is 18°F cooler than actual will prevent the hot IAT spark advance table from removing as much spark advance as it normally would for the 88°F IAT, which will result in a slight performance improvement. The PW does not increase the spark advance over and above the base spark advance values, it only delays the spark advance offset table from retarding the spark advance until the IAT gets a little hotter.

SC's zeroed out the hot coolant and hot IAT offset tables in their 2004-2006 Hemi calibrations, which means that as your coolant temperature climes to 240°F or hotter (towing max capacity in Arizona) and as your IAT climes to 150°F or hotter, you will get absolutely no spark advance retard to prevent harmful spark knock or detonation. The knock sensors will retard the spark advance up to there maximum authority but, it will not be enough to stop the harmful detonation in the above mentioned scenario.
The PW delays spark advance retard until the IAT gets a little hotter than the stock calibration and the SC's 2004-2006 Hemi tunes completely eliminate spark advance retard, no matter how hot the IAT gets.

My advice to anyone using a SC's 2004-2006 Hemi tune is to install a 180°F t-stat and burn the highest octane pump fuel you can get (91-94,) especially during the hotter months in very dry climates and whenever towing. FWIW.

There is a Hemi truck, that was running a SC's tune, sitting in a dealer in Las Vegas right now with a failed piston. Is it hot and dry in Las Vegas? I wonder which tune and what octane fuel he was using? Who should pay for the new engine DCX, Superchips or the truck owner???

I'll see if I can find the thread and post a link to it.

· Ramistered User
6,465 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.