DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying a sct chip or a superchip and a power wire for my 2002 dodge 1500 4.7 and I was wondering if the chip would just cancel out the power wire.

I was also wondering what is better just a cold air intake or a intake with a scoop

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was just going to add the chip and an intake. maybe the power wire if it will work with the chip. I do not have a lot of money right now to do any thing really big. FOR NOW:5191Funnyface:

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
The superchips and the power wire go hand in hand. So the wont cancel each other out. Stay away from chips I've heard to many horror stories about PCM getting fried. If you wanted a CAI check out AIRRAM's or just look on ebay they have some pretty cheap ones

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
I thought the power wire basically did what a programmer is capable of doing but without having to know how to program it? Wouldnt that make the 2 redundant?
This is straight off AIRRAM'S website

1. Will this harm my PCM in any way.
NO! The POWER WIRE only simulates intake air temps that are 20 degrees cooler at all times. Your PCM will not know any better and it will still adjust as advertised. The only difference is that the POWER WIRE causes your PCM to advance the timing by 3-4 degrees at WOT. This is where the 8-10RWHP comes from.
2. Will the POWER WIRE cause my engine to run rich?
No! Your PCM is programed to keep your Air Fuel Ratio nailed down to 14.75:1 at all throttle positions below Wide Open Throttle (WOT). So the POWER WIRE can not effect your Air Fuel Ratio anywhere below WOT.

The POWER WIRE will increase your AFR by approximately 2.5 percent at WOT only. In most cases thats enough to help improve on the factory slight lean setting.

3. What does the POWER WIRE do? How does it make HP?
The POWER WIRE alters the Air Temp Signal to your PCM to read 20 degrees cooler at all times. So if the actual intake air temps are 90 degrees then the POWER WIRE alters the signal to read 70 degrees. This causes the PCM to advance the timing which is worth approximately 8-10RWHP.
4. Will the POWER WIRE hurt my fuel economy?
NO, in most cases the POWER WIRE will increase your fuel economy by 1-2MPG when driven under a light foot. As long as you do NOT hit Wide Open Throttle the POWER WIRE can NOT add more fuel. The MPG gains come from the degrees timing advance effects the POWER WIRE induces.

On the flip side, at WOT the POWER WIRE does cause your PCM to add approximately 2.5 percent more fuel. So If your at Wide Open Throttle allot then YES your fuel economy will take a dive by approximately 2.5 percent. But the additional 8-10RWHP HP at WOT makes up for the slight loss in fuel economy.

Bottom line, if you want increased fuel economy while useing the POWER WIRE DO NOT put your foot to the floor... but what fun is that.

See so The POWER WIRE alters the Air Temp Signal to your PCM to read 20 degrees cooler at all times. The programmer does not do that. It remaps your pcm. Has nothing to do with your Air temp signal. Thats why they work hand in hand bacuase you get the best of both worlds

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
Go with the Superchip Programmer and AIR_RAM's Power Wire combo; it's a great way to get some extra HP from your Dodge. While you're on AIR_RAM's web site, you can check out his CAI section.

:)

·
RamRoddin'
789 Posts
This is straight off AIRRAM'S website
See so The POWER WIRE alters the Air Temp Signal to your PCM to read 20 degrees cooler at all times. The programmer does not do that. It remaps your pcm. Has nothing to do with your Air temp signal. Thats why they work hand in hand bacuase you get the best of both worlds
Right. So the power wire and the chip tuner create the same end result except they do it 2 different ways. We've established that.
The question i had was, why bother buying both then?
Its like buying a very nice irrigation system for your lawn and turning it on but then at the same time walking around above ground with a watering can in yr hand watering the same lawn. Whats the point? And what do you mean by "best of both worlds"? What 2 worlds are you getting the best of?
I guess im saying i just didnt get your post.

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
So your saying that you can change/adjust the AIR INTAKE TEMPUTURE with a superchips programmer?? I have had mine for a year or so and was never able to do that.

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
So your saying that you can change/adjust the AIR INTAKE TEMPUTURE with a superchips programmer?? I have had mine for a year or so and was never able to do that.
No; the PW is not adjustable. The PW knocks the incoming air temperature down at a flat rate.

The SC tuner is just that, a tuner. It has three different power levels for you to choice from for your truck. You pick the power level you want, the tuner installs it, you're done. The SC will also read error codes which saves you the time and money of paying someone else for a five-minute job. With the SC you can also change your tire size which will keep your speedo right on the money.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
i was told by air ram the the tuner does what the power wire would do, w/ sct anyway would be no benifit.

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
i was told by air ram the the tuner does what the power wire would do, w/ sct anyway would be no benifit.
If that were true, Nick couldn't make the PW fast enough. The PW plugs into the IAT sensor (Incoming Air Temp). As the computer looks at the IAT, the PW changes the value before the signal goes back to the computer. The end result, you have a little extra power; something like when you first start the engine in the morning.

As for the SCT, you don’t have the mod’s on the engine to make good use of the more costly programmer; stick with the SC Programmer and you’ll be happy. You’ll be happy at least until you get headers, cams, heads, R&P, shift kit, TC, ect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
sorry, mabye I said that wrong, I called nick a while back in referance to the p.w. told him I had custom sct tune from krc, and what my future mods were,he said well getting the power wire would defeat the purpose then. If im wrong I hope nick sees this and corrects me. that is the only reason for me not getting one.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
If that were true, Nick couldn't make the PW fast enough. The PW plugs into the IAT sensor (Incoming Air Temp). As the computer looks at the IAT, the PW changes the value before the signal goes back to the computer. The end result, you have a little extra power; something like when you first start the engine in the morning.

As for the SCT, you don’t have the mod’s on the engine to make good use of the more costly programmer; stick with the SC Programmer and you’ll be happy. You’ll be happy at least until you get headers, cams, heads, R&P, shift kit, TC, ect.

as far as the sct, I am very happy w/ it. I have a very aggressive tune from marty, and with tm removed I never thaught I could have gone from where I was at to now. IM in no way trying to start a debate, its just im happy with what I have, and what im going to do. 212 cams,race prepped heads, and from what ive researched these stock ex. manifolds flow well.

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
If you already have the SCT and a custom tune, you don't need the PW, the chip, or the SC tuner. You're system is maxed-out with the SCT.

:banghead:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
If you already have the SCT and a custom tune, you don't need the PW, the chip, or the SC tuner. You're system is maxed-out with the SCT.

:banghead:
thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank yal for all the info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.