DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1994 Gr Caravan 3.3 ltr, SE, Passenger door power window quit working awhile ago. When I finally had time I was able to jumper the window motor, which works in one direction when detached from the door.
I figured I had worn out the switch(s). I replaced the drivers door and passenger door switch(s), but the window motor doesn't work. when detached from the regulater, the driver door switch will activate the motor in the upward direction, but, not down? and when installed back on the regulater, neither up nor down direction work? Unsure of the cause, I replaced the motor, with same results..
Any Ideas of what to check next?...I have a feeling I have been here before, but of course, don't remember. seems like last problem I had was solved with new window motor and regulater, some years ago.
Is there a fuse somewhere?..I looked. no luck yet...:nerd

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On reassembly, the switches will raise the window, but not lower it..so there must be a break in that circuit somewhere. Where is the most likely place for that to happen? Is there a rely under the dash? meanwhile, ..back at the ranch I will look for wiring diagrams for this van... ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hello,
The window motors have brushes inside them. When they are worn (which eventually does happen) the problem you are having is common.

I test the motors with a motorcycle battery and some small wires with alligator clips. Disconnect the connector and apply 12v to the pins. Then reverse the wires and run it the other way. I run them both directions and if it works both ways then it could be the switch.
Of course, you have to remove the door panel to do this.

The only fix is a new motor (unless you can replace the brushes).

Try banging the inside door panel about midways and see if the window moves at all. If it does when you do that it's usually the brushes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the part about banging on the door panel! anyway, I replaced the motor with a new one, but my results are no different.. I also read that the 91 thru 95's do not have fuses on the power window circuit, just relays that reset them selves..? I took the driver door "master switch " out again, and looked at the wires attached to it. the ones for the passenger door window switch are purple with a white line, and grey with a white line, I'm gonna try to trace those to where ever, to see if I can find any obvious problems.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well, I always test the motors like I described BEFORE I replace them. It's so easy with a battery and a few alligator clips.

You're getting power one way, but not the other. I work more on 3rd and 4th gens so I don't have that FSM for that model but you're on the right track.

Please let us know what you find ok?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mods, please don't delete me, (good guy here). I just joined and I need five posts to start a thread (about my 1993 Caravan which is having starting problems). So I'm asking you to ignore this post and the next four (or delete them later on, please).

Thanks, -Sva50233

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hello again everyone! Time Flies, whether you are having fun or not. lol. anyway, I'm back, and I'm finally back at this dang passenger door power window. I thought Id tack on here, vs starting a new thread. Its been more than a year, but now no a/c, and really hot weather necessitate getting the widow to work. This 1994 Gr. Caravan now has upwards of 230 thousand miles on it, and is still running strong.
Turns out that the big 30 amp fuse or relay in the engine compartment was blown. I replaced it with a like type from AutoZone.
Now I am getting power to the passenger door switch, but it still will not go up and down with the switch. I pulled the connection from the window motor, and jumpered a ground to it as well as power from the switch, and it works. I have to reverse the connection to get it to go down.
While our van was at Firestone for an alignment, the mechanic/manager there said it is probably not getting ground. and indicated the most likely place for this to occur is by a break in the ground wire as it exits the van and goes to the door, thru that black rubber boot or tube in the doorjam.
I have not been able to check it yet.I did pull the rubber "boot" or tube from the door partially, to see all wires wrapped tightly together. It looks like a several hour job to tease them apart from the wrap to check them...but I guess thats what I'll be doing...Any one have any other ideas? to summarize. Passenger window will not go up or down with driver or passenger switch activation. It will work if jumpered directly to the motor (like Mistypotatoe suggested last year) I do have power to each switch, (by the way the driver door power window works fine) Happy 4th of July Everyone! :0

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am recovering from some eye surgery, so I'm alittle at a loss to figure this out...or to see well enough to puzzle this out,... I pulled on the wires going from the driver door to the body of the van, and the passenger door to the body of the van,.. none are loose. I was reattempting to find the theoretical broken ground today, and noticed I no longer had power the the passenger door switch.
I rechecked the big 30 amp plastic encased fuse in the engine compartment, and noticed it was blown, again. I'm not sure when that occured exactly, but I replaced it about a week or so ago, and was able to get power to the passenger door switch to test ti and ground it and make the window work. I was thinking of just making my own ground on the door, instead of trying to trace the old one.
I still have power to the driver door window, and it still goes up and down, but no power over to the passenger door....horse feathers! now what? I guess I will go get several big 30 amp fuses, as I'm bound to blow more trying to track this down....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fun continues.I have the door panel off on the driver door again, since it is the door the hinge pin broke on awhile ago, and that is the only incident I recall that would have otherwise stressed the wires. I've been fishing around the wire bundles, I will have to peel off alot of this fibrous tape or binding they are wrapped in. I know the most likely area of a break in the wires would be in that stretch between the door frame and body.
Inside the van, I took the lower part of the dash panel to try to see where these wires are headed, but, it's very hard to tell. I think they all come into the van, then turn abruptly upward. I'm guessing they are heading to the engine compartment fuse center. Not very likely to be damaged there I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts