DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an '05 PowerWagon and was reading that you have to have the truck in 4lo to engage the lockers. However, I could not find (or missed) any information on whether or not you had to stay in 4lo once the lockers were engaged. That is, can I go back into 4hi once the lockers are engaged? Do I have to be in 4lo to disengage the lockers as well? Has anyone had problems with their lockers engaging (or disengaging)? Thanks in advance for any info!

·
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,024 Posts
You must be in 4LO to engage the front and/or rear lockers. If you change to 4HI whilst they are engaged, they will automatically disengage and the indicator light(s) will blink until you manually disengage them by turning the knob. I have not had any problems per se, but they have been slow to engage. However, if you use them normally, they start to engage more quickly each time.

I have found that if I'm driving and see the light blinking and they havn't engaged after a minute or two, that if I stop and start again they go in. Others have found if the front is slow to engage you can try turning the steering back and forth. All in all, the more I use them the faster they engage.

·
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,024 Posts
soulfly said:
You dont need your lockers in 4 hi unless your into mud racing.
Alot of people need/want lockers in 4HI for many reasons. One of them being driving on sand. It's a hot topic with Power Wagon owners wanting to bypass the system and be able to engage the lockers in 4HI or even engage just the rear in 2WD. No one has come up with a fix yet for the PW's. They have done it for the Jeep Rubicons though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also have found that the more you use the lockers the faster they engage.
I think it's a bunch of C*** that you would need to do that, but apparently it is true. I (and my truck) have been the object of a lot of ribbing from my friends regarding "Unlockers", "Whishtheywouldlockers", "Smart Lockers" (they know when you REALLY need them), "Blinky" (the flashing indicator light) and so on.
I even contacted the people at AAM and they had no insight to offer so I began "to exercise" my lockers when I can and they do get better with repeated use.
The Power Wagon is an awsome truck, reluctant lockers included.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
jmbones said:
Alot of people need/want lockers in 4HI for many reasons. One of them being driving on sand. It's a hot topic with Power Wagon owners wanting to bypass the system and be able to engage the lockers in 4HI or even engage just the rear in 2WD. No one has come up with a fix yet for the PW's. They have done it for the Jeep Rubicons though.
who said that no one has come up w/ a way to lock themup in 4hi or even 2wd. ill see about posting how to do it but it wont be untill this afternoon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I too have found the lockers to be slow to engage but will try to lock them in more often, I have also had a problem with sway bar disconnect not connecting after use but have found a 4 lb hammer works well by tapping the sway bar disconnect and it connects right back up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
05pwrwgn,

I had the same problem in Moab this fall. The antisway bar would not reconnect after wheeling one day. That day, and the rest of the week, I fixed it after each trip by tapping the flange on the control unit - it'd "clunk" and reengage. As soon as I got home to Colorado Springs, the dealer replaced the entire unit, including both ends. Its a warranty issue and DCX is aware of it. You should take your truck in and get it replaced under warranty. I think it's weird they can't just order the center control unit section, they have to get the entire assembly.

Jim

·
06 Dodge Ram QC TRX4
344 Posts
2006 1500 trx4

hey guys, i noticed you guys were talking about axles on your PW's and i was wondering if you guys had any clue on what the real axle is on a 06 1500 trx4? Is it a locker or limited slip. i looked at dodge.com and it said it was a live axle but i dont know what that means.

Thanks,
Garrett

1 - 9 of 9 Posts