DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to wheel my Jeep Rubicon in the woods.

Does anyone have pictures of their PW in the woods with tight trails?

I would like to eventually start wheeling my PW on the same trails I wheeled my Rubi.

I have run my PW in my woods to recover my ATV when it was buried in mud but I had my chain saw and removed any tree that I needed too. I was pretty impressed with how nimble the wagon was in the woods.

I am new to the FULL SIZE offroad trail riding.

So I am asking for Pics and Stories of tight trail riding in your PW.

I am also interested in peoples experience with rock crawling and how dependable the front drive shafts are on our PW's.

So far I have replaced 2 front axel U-joints and a rear u-joint.

I know the Powerwagon is capable offroad, but I am doubting the PW's lasting ability offroad.

Does anyone know of Cro-molly front axel's for the PW?

Unfortunately, most of all the people I know who wheel, either wheel Jeeps or old beater full size trucks that can scrape trees or have junkyards full of parts to either upgrade or replace.

I'm hoping that I can keep the PW for a long time to wheel.

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
You've already replaced u-joints on the PW?

I've been down some tight trails in my truck. Brush up against both sides of the truck at the same time. No place to turn around etc. It's got a longer wheelbase so you can't cut corner like you can in a jeep.

My PW had held up great. Go to Youtube and search for LDGREGORY69 to see a bunch of vids rockcrawling. Some of the steeper climbs are towards the end of the list. The rockrails are solid as hell. I've landed on mine hard a few times. Used them to drag the truck over where I didn't have the breakover angle etc.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've wheeled in some pretty tight trails with my PW - less than 6" wider than the truck, and that's treetrunk-treetrunk (not counting branches). First off, if you're going to be on tight trails you've got to be willing to scratch all the paint off your PW...the paint isn't very tough, and I doubt there's a single square inch on my truck that isn't scratched. I don't worry about the paint scratches very much, but I've also severely scratched all the plastic trim and headlight/taillight covers...I assume that can be fixed somehow, but don't do auto detailing or body work so I'm not 100% sure.

But, even if you're willing to beat the truck up a bit it's still a lot larger than a Rubicon - it's wider for sure, has a larger turning circle (though it's actually very good for a truck this size), and the visibility isn't the best. The biggest problem I've come across is rearward visibility once the mirrors are folded back...but I have a topper, which compounds the problem. There're a few times where I actually stuck half my body out the window while I was backing up, so that I could get my head over the roof and get a better angle on obstacles that were in my way. I don't recommend doing that, BTW. :D

I'll try to post some pics (when I find them)...but I guess my advice is just to try it out and see what you think. I've owned both Jeeps and full-size trucks, and the trucks seem absolutely huge compared to the Jeeps...what seems easy in a Jeep can seem pretty tough in a full-size rig.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome Stuff guys. Keep it coming.

Yes!!, Believe it or not, but this is exactly what I want from the powerwagon.

My Rubi has a 5.5 RE Extreme Long Arm with 35" tires and I used to be on trails were I would say " I would hate to be in anything larger than a Jeep" because I could never imagine anything with a larger turn radius navigating the turn. And before I got the Alloy USA Cro-molly shafts I found that turning and backing with lockers on is how I broke a axle U-joint.

With the powerwagon I could only imagine that will all be multiplied.

I would hope that the PW front axle should be able to hand a 35" tire without breaking.

Yes, I have already had to replace 3 u-joints. 2 on both front axles and one on the rear drive shaft.

My PW has 41,000 miles. (now, my disclaimer, the cause may or may not have been the following.) During last fall, my local county fair had 4X4 Drag races on a dirt horse track. We were racing in 4 wheel high and low, distance approx 200 feet.

I can't imagine it's this, but I use my 4 wheel drive every day from Nov 15 until March 31. I live in the Snow Belt and we have had over 100 inches of snow this season by Jan 1 and we are not even half way through winter!

Obviously, I don't have the same view as the Jeep, especially with the doors and top off. I definitely recogonize the need for a spotter that I can trust. Hell, maybe even 2.

That's why I want to make my PW as capable as possible because I Dream of taking it everywhere I took the Jeep, and then I want to be able to take the Powerwagon some place the Jeep can't go...Now, I know for a fact, there are some OFF CAMBER places I would never dream of taking the powerwagon just because it could never turn as tight as the Jeep with out rolling over.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Waterford, (Erie County) Pennsylvania.

It's that part that sticks up in Lake Erie. I live just south of Interstate 90.

The Snowbelt being between I90 and I80...

·
Labrador Retrievers rule!
1,794 Posts
Carry a collapsible wood saw (Svensaw brand is good) or a chain saw in case you get stuck and have no spotters along.

I nearly got majorly stuck on a logging trail that gradually dwindled down to no trail at all.
I was in a long wheelbase mini-pickup with a shell that limited visibility. I couldn't back up.
So I had to cut down some small trees that had grown up in the "turn around".
I had no choice, I was alone in the wilderness. No food, and only a
Walther PPK to hunt with...:D

·
Registered
235 Posts
here's my toy complete with new paint !! I guided some guys in their PW's at Rausch Creek (mine is a tow rig), and even on easy trails they where challenged !! the Dodge is big, wide, and heavy, not a good combo for tight trails.

Attachments

·
1,794 Posts
Psst... I've always wanted one of those.
(Don't tell anybody)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Basically.. you need to "Become One" with the scratches you will receive, and realize they actually make the Power Wagon look better!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
But I will say this.. if any of you have driven a Ford Power Stroke??.. you can respect the PW's turning radius for sure!!

·
1,794 Posts
I've driven a Quad Cab long-bed Ram.
I do appreciate the Power Wagon turning radius!

I was kinda surprised Chrysler didn't offer a Regular Cab short-bed Power Wagon.
They could have given it a step side and called it a Macho Power Wagon.
That would have been a better trail runner or rockcrawler, but I wouldn't have bought it.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
I've driven a Quad Cab long-bed Ram.
I do appreciate the Power Wagon turning radius!

I was kinda surprised Chrysler didn't offer a Regular Cab short-bed Power Wagon.They could have given it a step side and called it a Macho Power Wagon.
That would have been a better trail runner or rockcrawler, but I wouldn't have bought it.
My dream truck! :rck:

·
1,794 Posts
I would have bought a RAMCHARGER... If they still made them...:bawl:

Attachments

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
I would have bought a RAMCHARGER... If they still made them...:bawl:
Hey! Don't give me any more ideas for when I hit the powerball! :D Cut down RC PW with short bed, A lenghten QC PW with no bed.......

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I use my Rhino kinda like a Jeep, (although I have to tow it where I go exploring, but at least I tow it with my Power Wagon).. A Jeep is cool for sure, I've owned one too, but you are really limited on what you can do with it "In the real world". It's pretty much a street legal toy. (Kinda like the Rhino). You can't really compare the Power Wagon to a Jeep, not really. To totally different purposes/platforms, ect. Kinda like comparing an Aircraft Carrier to a kayak.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Hey speaking of this stuff.... has anyone ever done "Black Bear" in a Power Wagon...? If not- I want to be the first dumbass to try. I'm really good at claiming ignorant, and I know how to parachute if things go really bad.

·
Big Bubba
575 Posts
packraft,
Have you been to Black Bear? I really think the PW is way too long to make those swithbacks! I have never driven it, but I have watched Jeep's through binoculars from the overlooks on Imogene pass struggle to make those switchbacks. Some of the switchbacks on Imogene are considered impassable for a truck the size of ours, although I crossed the entire trail with my wagon. I shocked the hell out of a club of Jeepers when I met up with them at the top of Imogene. They had never seen a truck as big as mine up there, but also told me that there would be no way it would fit Black Bear. Like I said I have never driven it, so I cannot say for sure. Just take the Rhino up there. I'll go with you on my Sportsman!

By the way. Have you been up in that area with you wagon? If so, what trails have you done?

I think that area would be a great summer PW trip for anyone who would like to go!

·
1,794 Posts
This is an interesting Power Wagon:
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zfdRZhCruNs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zfdRZhCruNs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

1 - 20 of 31 Posts