DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last night i was driving and noticed a whinning sound when making a sharp turn when moving slow. then when turning off the road to my house my power steering was gone. no grinding or anything. when i got home i checked the fluid level and it was full. it also had some pressure when removing the cap. my truck didnt drive totally straight before so idk if this could have anything to do with it.

thanks in advance
Paul

·
Registered
630 Posts
Im gonna guess you need a new PS pump.

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
be careful removing the pulley (needs to be pressed on), i learned that the hardway,,, 2 broken pulleys and 1 broken ps pump..... BUT it wasnt at my expense. The pulley is metal around the hole where the shaft goes but the rest is plastic..... dont quote me on this as i have a 04 dodge ram 1500 3.7l it MAY be different 4 u

just keep it filled to the marked spot till u can get it fixed... id let the dealer do it again if i had to do it again.

·
Premium Member
22,962 Posts
Craig and I had this issue with his. We broke about 6 pulleys from Autozone and checker. Finally just went to the dealer and got a new pump and res for about $100.

Made life way easier. (plus it was an upgraded factory pump - better then the repo or rebuilt stock ones at parts stores.)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Craig and I had this issue with his. We broke about 6 pulleys from Autozone and checker. Finally just went to the dealer and got a new pump and res for about $100.

Made life way easier. (plus it was an upgraded factory pump - better then the repo or rebuilt stock ones at parts stores.)
did the one from the dealer come with the pully aready on it?

if not could i use a shop press? we have one in my auto tech class.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im scared though that the pump broke because of something els. like it was working to hard or something. should i be worried about this?

·
Registered
630 Posts
im scared though that the pump broke because of something els. like it was working to hard or something. should i be worried about this?
Pumps fail...no big thing.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Dude, mine died and I only had it a year and a 1/2. It happens. Yours had a good run.

·
They call me Radio
4,807 Posts
Yup, Mike is right, its so much easier to just go to the dealership and buy the whole assembly, pump, resi and pulley. Comes all together, its cheap and would have saved a ton of trouble of trying to get a pulley onto an aftermarket pump.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
is mopar power steering fluid a must?
Me personaly I have used tranny fluid, if your putting a new pump in from the dealership ask them what they recomend.

Then ask somebody else, your not got do get everybody to agree on this one.

·
Banned
470 Posts
atf + 4 I believe
:tup:

i work for chrysler in louisiana. i'd say 9/10 ps pumps ive replaced didnt come with a pulley. not sayin that you CANT get one with a pulley. if you need to swap pulleys you will need a pulley puller/installer. great tool to have, i would reccomend getting a snap on or equivilent because of the bearing quality. makes the job 10x easier!

·
Dodge Tech
352 Posts
If i remember right the ram pumps come with the pulley on it for the 3rd gens. Just remove the belt and lines then it is just three bolts that you get access to from the holes in the pulley.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.