DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a after market power moon roof installed yet? I seen alot of trucks driving around with them now and was wondering if anyone has done it on here.
I called the Stealership and they referred me to two places and the going price that I got up here in IL was $1200 does that sound right? With a life time warrenty.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
haha i remember that. whatever came of it?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'd be willing to prep your truck for moon roof installation. Save you a bundle by making the hole for you. :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
FYI: Sunroof is a factory option on 05's.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hemi Army said:
FYI: Sunroof is a factory option on 05's.
Like a $800 or $900 option ...

·
Registered
195 Posts
DeputyRAM said:
Like a $800 or $900 option ...
Im sure they either have to use a special cab or they redesigned the cab to fit as with the problem in the posted thread the main cab support is right where the sunroof would be...

Has anybody got any pictures of a quad cab with the sunroof (dodge installed or otherwise)

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
Sunroofs are tricky in ever case. I put one in my avenger but went with a manual because of less moving parts, less to adjust, and a much simpler seal. They are fun to have but be prepared that they need to come with a warranty, be adjusted and tested regularly, and also test it at the car wash often. Sunroofs generally take time to fail and will fail under a high-pressure wash before they will fail in a rainstorm. Even with a lifetime warranty, I would count on replacing it, or at least having major work done in 10 years as the seals will wear out. Moonroofs might last a little longer than sunroofs as you have less exposure to sun.

To avoid the aforementioned problem, discuss all the ins and outs of how the install will go and ask if they have done your model truck before. And yes, $1200 is about right for a power sunroof/moonroof.

·
Registered
195 Posts
10 years is a long time and Im sure alot of things can / will fail on a truck within that time frame. You should do preventive maintence on your sunroof/moonroof just like the rest of your car. Keep the seal from drying out, ect..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to run a glass shop where we did aftermarket sunroofs and moonroofs.
My advice would be don't even think about an aftermarket moonroof. Even when the result looks good, your truck will still be screwed up. Most shops don't want to use a lot of fluid while cutting the hole in the roof for fear of ruining your interior, but because of that most of the time the roof gets too hot when they cut the hole. Even with a manual sunroof, it is scary how many vehicles get damaged by installation (I would say more than half.) And moonroofs are much worse. Rams are particularly difficult, not only because of the roof support location, but the cab height makes the job physically difficult to do so the chances of making a mistake are even greater. I have the Dodge moonroof in my truck. I like it but, it doesn't open as far as most moonroofs do in other vehicles.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
OK time for my stupid question of the day.
I know what a sunroof is, had many of them, almost a standard fitment on European vehicles in Europe rather than A/C and always assumed that a moonroof was just a US term for a sunroof. I see from above posts that there is a difference, is a glass one a sunroof and a metal one a moonroof ?
So what's the difference?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dodge calls the power roof a sunroof. But in the aftermarket sunroof means manual, moonroof means power.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've got an aftermarket inalfa sunroof in my '02. Had it since May of 2002 and it's been great, no problems whatsoever. I actually ordered my truck with it as a dealer option. I'll try to get pics when I get to my home pc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.