DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
w/ the economy the way it is, i am considering having my stock D rims powder coated black & getting new tires possibly 285/70/17s. Would like to go w/ 20s but i think going the other route is gonna save me a lot of $, not 2 mention gas. i know the final decision is mine, but i'd like 2 hear some members input on this? has anybody ever had this done? in the long run is it worth it? or should i go w/ the uprgraded rim/tires? etc. :help:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
:teacher:take a look at my wheels in my gallery. rattle can!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you used normal spray paint to do your wheels or a special type of spray paint? also do you have any signs of chipping or peeling?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
nope just regular paint. went with semi flat color. and i have no chipping or peeling. i used a sand blasting sponge primer and regular paint.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
nope just regular paint. went with semi flat color. and i have no chipping or peeling. i used a sand blasting sponge primer and regular paint.
what brand? How long ago did you do it? Your wheels are about the best I've seen, there not shiney so that your tires don't dirty all the time. did you use any clear coat?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I never had any luck painting wheels. On a previous car, I sanded, primed, painted, then clear coat. It looked great right afterwards, but 4-6mts down the road they looked faded and chipped.

Next car got the wheels powdercoated and 5years down the road they still look the same. I paid 200 for 4 wheels and yes that could buy a lot of paint, but the time and hassle of repainting every so often was worth the money to me.

Just my experience

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i figured that painting the rim yourself is definitely more cost effective. But like you said Choeacin, 1-2 yrs down the road i don't want to be doing it all over again. Not to mention the labor aspect of it, having to cut the tires (w/ tape) or removing the tires all together just to spray paint the rim. I think I'd rather have someone else tackle that for me. You have to admit, that he did a good job painting his rims & they look good.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
what brand? How long ago did you do it? Your wheels are about the best I've seen, there not shiney so that your tires don't dirty all the time. did you use any clear coat?
i can't remember.... i think it is called tough something for the paint and black primer. then i went over it with a paint just for the wheels. and i did them last spring. the second time. the first time was i august of 2006 reason i did them a second time was i had tires replaced and the wheel weights were removed. Hadn't touched it since. and all i used was 3x5 cards. or manilla folders.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You should be able to get the rims done cheaper than $80.00 and if I was gonna do mine I would do the P coat for sure.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
I can't find any place around here that wants to do any coating execpt for comercial stuff.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
have you tried doin' a search in your area using superpages.com & then using powder coating as your key search word. i know when i 1st thought about gettin wheels done on the Tahoe i used 2 have 1 of the places i found was in FL. i was gonna do it, but then I found a few places here in MD that could do it. Saved me a lot of $ not 2 mention turn around time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just called around & found a couple of other places that will do the wheels @ $65 a wheel, $60 that I could use on temp wheels 'til these come back. & 2 make it even better turn around time will only be a couple of days. The other places that I had called it was gonna be 2-3 weeks before I got my wheels back. Now I need to find new tires, looking for wider tires. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good luck with the powder coat. I had my rx8 wheels powder coated and not one chip yet! Holds up great! Definitely get pics once your finished!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know its not a durango but here's a pic of my rx8 with the black powercoated wheels, i also have the lip painted blue, the same color as my car, but its very hard to see, even in person.

I'm thinking about doing it to my durango as well

·
Chief's Pride!!!
2,497 Posts
That looks sharp, I wouldn't mind doing this but I would need to get some crappy cheap rims to ride around on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know its not a durango but here's a pic of my rx8 with the black powercoated wheels, i also have the lip painted blue, the same color as my car, but its very hard to see, even in person.

I'm thinking about doing it to my durango as well

That looks sweet. Can't wait to get 'em done my factory wheels. I just wish they were 18's or 20, but I'll be fine w/ the 17s.

·
Word to your Mother!
316 Posts
Hittin Seeds.....where in Maryland? I'm thinking about the same thing but can't afford too much down time without the D?? Hit me up man.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.