DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the site, did alot of searchin on powder coating my factory polished alum 20's. Ive decided to have them powder coated in a blach chrome, does any one know if i should have them blasted before? or what prep is needed before i take them to get coated? Also does anyone happen to have a pic of black rims on the charcoal/ graphite colour of truck like mine? do you think i should just keep them as they are or would black look better?

Attachments

·
BLACK
1,343 Posts
Black rims look good on dark color trucks like yours.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
black will look great. I think anyplace that powdercoats could blast them if needed but they will charge you. Regardless of where it is done, the wheels will need prepped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are your wheels chrome clad or alluminum? I can't tell in the picture. You are going to have to figure out how to get the chrome clad "cover" off. If they are alluminum other than basic prep a powdercoater will do they will be fine. I think it will look awesome!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Polished Alum, yeah im thinkin black, should look decent, wish i could find a cheap set of the new'r style they are bad ass lookin

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
definitly get somebody to do a few photochops for you before you decide. For the money it takes to have them powder coated I wouldn't want to be unhappy with the color

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
ggravant

also try to get a mod to move this to the concepts/modified section

·
This Space Left Blank
328 Posts
I would strongly suggest getting your rims blasted prior to powder coating. It not only helps give a profile for adhesion, but if there were any residual oils or contaminants the bond will not last. Have you posed this question to the company who is quoting you? They should tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
normally the people doing the coating include blasting in the quote. for instance, i paid 400 for all 4 rims. included blasting, prep, and coating. here are some pics of mine, same color truck...just the newer 20's, they are a semi-gloss.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I think they will look great.

Jeffro9, Do you want me to move this thread to the Modified / Concept section?

Just let me know!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
maybe pick up a set of chrome clads and pull the covers and blast them before having them powdercoated. I know here at least the polished aluminum rims are worth significantly more money than the CC's

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh the new'r 20's are so sick, i cant seem to find a set up here for less then a G , which in that case might as well get something non stock

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
normally the people doing the coating include blasting in the quote. for instance, i paid 400 for all 4 rims. included blasting, prep, and coating. here are some pics of mine, same color truck...just the newer 20's, they are a semi-gloss.
Rims look good on your truck and nice little Hacienda in the background.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
maybe pick up a set of chrome clads and pull the covers and blast them before having them powdercoated. I know here at least the polished aluminum rims are worth significantly more money than the CC's
he has the polished aluminum wheels....why buy chrome clads and rip the cladding off which won't look good because there is a big void in the center of the wheel.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Ahh the new'r 20's are so sick, i cant seem to find a set up here for less then a G , which in that case might as well get something non stock
try ebay...got mine for 600 shipped to my door. plus 400 for powdercoat, then just mount and balance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
normally the people doing the coating include blasting in the quote.
Jordans Right! and if the Company your dealing with doesn't prep the wheels Their self i would find another company!

Think about it How can they be sure the coating will Hold or last if they don't prep them their selfs Just before applying the coating???

IMHO only a Company that really Knows what their doing Is gonna prep their own wheels before coating!That way they can stand behind the warranty!

The Matte black looks Great,but i wonder if you could get them Teflon coated? that would Prolly be a Tuffer finish.... I love the look or the Teflon coated wheels :~)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.