DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kenwood CD deck with sirius built in but the controlls and interface suck! Its very hard to switch between displays...song title, artist..ect. and hard to change channels and catigories. I have decided to take out the external tuner and go with a new seperate sirius tuner run through my aux input instead ofgetting anew deck and tuner.

I am thinking of mounting it in the empty space under the A/C or maybe getting one of those thin sirius tuners for $29 (pics below)and taking it apart and mounting the LCD and buttons in different areas... maybe in the compas console?

If you have any pics of custom sirius tuner installs PLEASE post them or any ideas you may have! Idealy I would liketo be able to take the unit out of my car and into my house but I would sacrafice that for a great lookingclean install.

Here are the tuners I'm looking at getting:

·
Registered
595 Posts
What did you do with your factory head unit? If you still have it, put it back in and install the Mopar Sirius receiver up to it. Its a lot easier to deal with than aftermarket head units. I have Sirius in my Jeep with the factory head unit and I love it. I wish I had the RB1 though, would make it a lot easier to ‘surf’ the channels. But the RAZ dose just fine.

Just a thought…

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I still have the Kenwood deck in there... My factory deck was not sirius ready and it hand little power so it did not sound good.. so it went on ebay.

Surfing is horrible on the Kenwood!!

I looked at the RB1 and RB4 on ebay and they're like $300-$500 which is cheap. I thought they were like $1500. Which one is better? the RB4 is goin for $300 and RB 1 is goin for $500. Also... how much in the sirius tuner and antenna?

·
Registered
595 Posts
That sucks. You must have had the RBP than. Every thing from 2002+ but the RBP was Sirius ready. I never found the factory head unit to be underpowered my self, but than again, I had my system upgrade quick after I got my current Jeep. Nothing a semi-decent amp didn’t fix.

Ya, the RB1 is kinda pricey. That’s why theres not one in my Jeep yet. I’m not ready to part with $1000+ for a vehicle I normally don't get to drive. Maybe I will surprise the wife with one, one day. I’m sure you can find a Sirius ready Mopar head unit in a bone yard pretty cheap and easily. Mite get lucky and find the Sirius receiver too. I've found all kinds of goodies at yards.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
I have the XACT XTR3 mounted in the extra cubby hole that's only available with manual tranny equipped trucks. It's just above the shifter boot.
The wired MF modulator switch is mounted behind the passenger side kick panel (where the antenna coax coupler is located).
The sat antenna is mounted on the dash at the base of the windshield.

MikeyB

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here's mine. It slightly blocks the RW/FF buttons, but I never use those anyway.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Try2dodgeit said:
I still have the Kenwood deck in there... My factory deck was not sirius ready and it hand little power so it did not sound good.. so it went on ebay.

Surfing is horrible on the Kenwood!!

I looked at the RB1 and RB4 on ebay and they're like $300-$500 which is cheap. I thought they were like $1500. Which one is better? the RB4 is goin for $300 and RB 1 is goin for $500. Also... how much in the sirius tuner and antenna?
The RB1 is hands down the best. It will display artist and song on the display. The NAV is excellent as well. I got mine on e-bay. The sirius unit will cost around $170.00. There will be an additional song title/artist cable that you will have to purchase. All very easy to install and integrates with the steering wheel controls if you have them.

·
Technology Handyman
1,062 Posts
I have the visor (the second one) and it is right to the left of the console, I will try to get pics tomarrow, and the antenna on the dash in the center.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much did you pay for the RB1 on ebay? there is a guy selling them for $500 "new"... seems too good to be true being that they go for $1500. I guess the RB4 does not offer a good display for the sirius? Do you think this is the best way to go?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
i have mine built into the stock headunit as well. came with the truck. i love it that way. i hate having to deal with all the wires with the other sirius recievers.

·
Up The Irons!
279 Posts
I put XM in my '04, all hard wired to the Kenwood head unit. Same basic idea as mounting the Sirius units too.
Here's how I did mine, an Audiovox Xpress in my 2004 Ram.

With the dash trim piece popped off, the storage pocket is held to the back of it with 4 small screws. The face of the pocket is soft rubber, so it has some "give" to it. I took a piece of metal pipe insulation covering and cut it to size to sanwich between the back of the trim piece and the front of the storage pocket, after painting it black. With the 4 pocket screws tightened up, it's very solid. Then, drill a 1/2 inch hole in the top rear corner of the pocket to run the wires through, and drill the small holes in the insulation covering to bolt in the Xpress mount. Pull the wires through the hole and pop the dash back together.

My 1/8th audio out goes to a converter to become RCA connections. Then those go through a Kenwood converter wire to connect to the Kenwood head unit aux. input in the rear. You can however get the Chrysler PIE adaptor to run your output hard-wired into your factory radio's aux input, also in the rear.

For power, the adaptor harness to install the Kenwood head unit in provided a couple of spare 12V wires. I just wired the Xpress power wire to one of them. I'm sure you could find something back in there to work, like the supply to the optional cupholder lights.

My antenna wire runs through the dashboard, across the driver's side, and down into/behind the kick panel. It then runs along under the door sill trim pieces, and up the rear corner trim into the headliner. It goes across the headliner and out through the cargo/3rd brake light opening. The lens is held on with just 2 screws. Just a dab of silicone in case the rubber seal of the lens doesn't seal up tight, and it's done.

It's well worth the small effort (a couple of hours max) and sacrifice of 1/2 the storage pocket, for the top sound quality and un-cluttered looks without wires everywhere. The main dislike is that it's a bit low, and looking down to see the display is sometimes a pain. The upside is that with my arm on the armrest, the preset buttons are literally at my fingertips, so I don't NEED to look at it unless I want to see the info.

I originally had a Kenwood 902 Sirius tuner working through the Kenwood head unit, and it drove me NUTS for the same reasons the original poster said. I'm in no way shape or form any kind of hard-core audiophile. However, it boggles my mind that anyone is able to leave the stock head unit and speakers in these trucks.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
HemiMagnum said:
i have mine built into the stock headunit as well. came with the truck. i love it that way. i hate having to deal with all the wires with the other sirius recievers.

I hate wires too but I also don't like seeing who the artist is, I rode in a H2 and the factory radio showed everything on the XM much bette stock deck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.