DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've run into a problem with my 2001 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.2L v8. I believe I've got a broken rocker, I'm really hoping its something i can fix by myself but if not what is the cost I'm looking at to have the damage repaired? what else could have been damaged?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hello everyone, I've run into a problem with my 2001 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.2L v8. I believe I've got a broken rocker, I'm really hoping its something i can fix by myself but if not what is the cost I'm looking at to have the damage repaired? what else could have been damaged?
FAIK broken rockers on magnums are rare; perhaps sludge etc starved it for oil; would definitely determine why it failed, and if it damaged pushrod and/or lifter; or if truck has a different problem.
... Easy to change a rocker:---

--- number plug wires and remove wires from plugs
--- then 10 bolts to undo and remove valve cover (note routing of vacuum lines, wires etc)
---put offending cyl somewhere near TDC of compression stroke to ensure both valves are closed (so both lifters are on "base circle" not cam lobes)
---remove bolt, broken rocker, pivot (would replace all 3)
---note pushrod end/s an remove; check that it's not sludged/plugged up, both ends are ok, and its straight (roll it on flat surface); many that reuse pushrods install them upside down (end for end)
---could use heavy oil, though moly grease is likely best; lube both pushrod ends; and mating surfaces on rocker and the pivot, and rocker tip and valve tip
---install all; 98 FSM says torque to 21 ft lbs (DK about 01, likely same, unsure)
---DO NOT crank or turn engine for 5 minutes (lifter may need this time to bleed down)

... This TSB is for proper routing of plug wires; pay special attn to the critical wires 5 and 7

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FAIK broken rockers on magnums are rare; perhaps sludge etc starved it for oil; would definitely determine why it failed, and if it damaged pushrod and/or lifter; or if truck has a different problem.
... Easy to change a rocker:---

--- number plug wires and remove wires from plugs
--- then 10 bolts to undo and remove valve cover (note routing of vacuum lines, wires etc)
---put offending cyl somewhere near TDC of compression stroke to ensure both valves are closed (so both lifters are on "base circle" not cam lobes)
---remove bolt, broken rocker, pivot (would replace all 3)
---note pushrod end/s an remove; check that it's not sludged/plugged up, both ends are ok, and its straight (roll it on flat surface); many that reuse pushrods install them upside down (end for end)
---could use heavy oil, though moly grease is likely best; lube both pushrod ends; and mating surfaces on rocker and the pivot, and rocker tip and valve tip
---install all; 98 FSM says torque to 21 ft lbs (DK about 01, likely same, unsure)
---DO NOT crank or turn engine for 5 minutes (lifter may need this time to bleed down)

... This TSB is for proper routing of plug wires; pay special attn to the critical wires 5 and 7

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm
I really appreciate you replying to this, I also use the ram forums and searched around seeing people just say it's an easy fix but the detail you went into will help me a lot! I'm going to either order oem rockers and replace them all or but some upgraded parts. Thank you and stay safe

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I really appreciate you replying to this, I also use the ram forums and searched around seeing people just say it's an easy fix but the detail you went into will help me a lot! I'm going to either order oem rockers and replace them all or but some upgraded parts. Thank you and stay safe
How did you determine you have a broken rocker? Pull off the valve cover and and take a look.
As said "pull the cover and look" before blowing a wad of cash on parts; and/or to determine cause of failure; you may have an entirely different problem.
... Helpful to mention problem/symptoms etc.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
doubt a rocker went bad. the pedestal bolts occasionally snap. or a hallow push rod bent. lifters too, they collapse if junk clogs the hole.
those few cases are all easily repaired without taking the heads off. you may need to pull the intake manifold though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.