DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Dakota w/ 90k miles that has started making a whirring/groaning that is always present and pulsates with respect to wheel speed when driving (more noticeable at speeds say below 25mph but still present when driving faster)

This sound is much more noticeable when I make a left turn (i.e. body rolls to the right putting pressure on that side). The sound does not amplify/ change when I make a right turn. That being the case I figured the passenger side wheel bearing was the culprit. So I replaced the wheel bearing and properly torqued it down etc. I also figured that this was also the most likely reason because the driver side wheel bearing previously went bad around 6k miles ago. Low and behold the noise is still there.

I also rotated my tires in an "x" pattern to make sure a tire wasn't possibly causing the noise. Noise is still there.

The CV joints don't have any tears etc. and there does not appear to to be any grease leaking out anywhere. If I pull/push the axle straight in/out of the differential housing I do get some play in and out. I don't know how much (if any) play is acceptable. I haven't had a chance yet to pull the cover on the front differential to see what things look like inside.

I know a CV joint typically makes a clicking noise when it starts going bad, but can they also make a whirring/groaning noise, or am I possibly looking at a possible bearing failure in my front differential.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
still sounds like a wheel bearing. use a floor jack to take the load off the wheel and look for movement in the wheel as you grip front and rear and push pull.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.