DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I did a search and like usual I got countless threads without answering my exact question. So, I want to know what would be the best size throttle body to use on my 07 Hemi with a sidewinder and supporting mods. I run a SC tuner so I don't have custom tunning ability. Will a ported tb make me run lean, will it even make a difference, is it worth the money? My truck is a tow rig and my DD, but I also like to take it to the track and flog it around town some. I am looking for a few little things to get the most out of the truck without messing with the towing reliability, or spending a fortune. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yes it will lean your afr.If it were me i would do the summit 20% O/D pulley.You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.JMO Maybe you can do a before and after track comparison to see how much you got.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The UD pully is on the list of maybe's, I have an e-fan and would worry about the draw on the alt and the slower water pump speed at idle. If I get caught in a traffic jam with the fan running alot and the water pump running slow with my trailer in tow, I could get into some trouble.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Man Ive let my truck sit and idle for long periods of time with just my e-fan and never any issues. I do have a 180* stat also though.

I havent seen anyone do anything more than 85mm on a stock TB though. I wonder why? Maybe not enough material?

Anyway, Ive got a TB here at work with me and am going to port it out when i get a chance

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That's a good point.The black majic has the least amp draw i believe.Combined with a 180*tstat and the O/D alt pulley i think you will be ok.But it's going to be that hot summer day in traffic that's going to be the test.You will get a little more bottom end torque and a little better mpg with the pulley.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
have you watched your af's with the sc yet Zach? it will give you an idea where your at now..

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
First off I did a search and like usual I got countless threads without answering my exact question. So, I want to know what would be the best size throttle body to use on my 07 Hemi with a sidewinder and supporting mods. I run a SC tuner so I don't have custom tunning ability. Will a ported tb make me run lean, will it even make a difference, is it worth the money? My truck is a tow rig and my DD, but I also like to take it to the track and flog it around town some. I am looking for a few little things to get the most out of the truck without messing with the towing reliability, or spending a fortune. Thanks for any info.
Only a couple options on a replacement. Complete aftermarket unit. For that you better get the lube and grap your ankles.

Getting a ported stock one which I believe only the front side is ported not the back still retaining the stock throttle blade.
You can have the back side ported as well but when I talked to Dan (thefastman) he didnt think it was needed. This may have changed it has been a while.

I thought I saw a thread on here about him offering a ported unit with a replacement blade for people with extensive mods as well but I could be wrong.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Just as a side topic on TB's, here are some pics of a TB with the electronics cover removed incase anyone wants to see.

http://cid-fb87bd8396fbfbf4.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Truck/Throttle Body pics ^5electronics^6
thanks for the pictures. I have seen those before and honestly impresses me that any of the companies that do make an aftermarket unit can get it right and make it work without any issues.
I think it is the reason they use to charge so much for them. I think a new stock replacement is only like $100 so getting one and having it ported really is the most cost effective option.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to log my AF Fred, but it only gave me a block line, do I have to log then plug in to my computer, I have no idea how to log with this thing. I have been stuck in traffic before with my stock tstat and e-fan and the temps went crazy, that was in the Cali summer, now I'm in a cooler climate with a 180* and proper wiring. I might talk to a local machine shop and see if they can bore mine front and back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just tried porting my stock TB myself. It would run ok and then get the lightning bolt after about 15 minutes. Even cut out on me on the freeway (luckily didn't get in a wreck). I ordered one from Dan and got the front side porting and half shaft. It made a nice improvement in drivability and my MPG's went up by 1 mpg so far.

I would definatly recomend one from Dan, it worked well and he got it to my door in about 3 days (I had to get a new one of course).

Out of all my mods I would put this one right under the Superchips and Headers. I felt a better "seat of the pants" improvement than the intake or exhaust.

Just my experience. Up to you, but I think it would help you even more than me with the cam you have.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I just tried porting my stock TB myself. It would run ok and then get the lightning bolt after about 15 minutes. Even cut out on me on the freeway (luckily didn't get in a wreck). I ordered one from Dan and got the front side porting and half shaft. It made a nice improvement in drivability and my MPG's went up by 1 mpg so far.

I would definatly recomend one from Dan, it worked well and he got it to my door in about 3 days (I had to get a new one of course).

Out of all my mods I would put this one right under the Superchips and Headers. I felt a better "seat of the pants" improvement than the intake or exhaust.

Just my experience. Up to you, but I think it would help you even more than me with the cam you have.
x2, same here!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Ported and polished the front and back of mine never had any problem's.Just don't get to close to the butterfly.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
With my 6.1 my afr stays around 15-16 @ HOT, and 11-12 @ WOT. Id imagine you would run near the same with the sidewinder. I never tow of pull anything though so I cant answer for how youll run under load, but my 85mm hasnt given me any problems since install. Gains are hard to judge due to being installed same day as the cam.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
80mm

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have seen the lx guys running the 90mm, is that too big for our truck intakes?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
its not, but nobody on here would really have a need for one that big. And I believe our plastic manifolds can only handle up to the 85mm

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats what I thought. I need to figure out how to log A/F with my SC to see a ball park where I'm at. I have the IAT resistor and a 180* tstat to help richen things up a bit. I need to find someone local with an 85mm to try and see if it makes a diff, I am thinking it will.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.