Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,

My 97 Ram 4x4 has a weird sound coming from it. It is a loud popping sound only once in a while when I turn. It all started one day when I locked into 4x4 - it made a few loud pops when I tried to drive so I toook it out right away. Ever since then it pops when turning the tires (not every time). I was wondering if it is a CV axle but am a little confused. Usually when a CV goes bad, it pops/ticks always while turning and mine only does it once in a while. Does anyone have any idea of what it is? I am still leaning toward the CV.

Thanks,

Harley

·
Registered
842 Posts
Check the slip shaft section of the front drive shaft. Willing to bet that this is the issue. Have seen a couple of these go bad and the have a rather loud click or pop to them when they slip. Check it by setting the e-brake and putting in 4wd and try to make it pull the rear tires. If the shaft is bad this should slip it.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Do you have a lift on your truck?
Doubt its your front shaft since you said it pops on the street in 2wd. Your front Driveshaft does not spin in 2wd so it doesnt move in 2wd, thus can pop.
I look at your axle U Joints.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The front drive shaft still has to turn when the truck is going down the road wether it is in 2wd or 4wd.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
No it does not turn when going down the road in 2wd. With the CAD unit, the right side axle shaft is disengaged. The left side shaft is turning, but since it goes into an open carrier and the right side shaft doesnt spin, the carrier will not spin, thus the driveshaft wont spin. Now if you had a 1 piece axle on the right side or a limited slip or a locker in the front, your front shaft will turn.

·
Registered
842 Posts
:huh: You will still have fluid friction in the t-case that will turn it....

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
lbeenken said:
:huh: You will still have fluid friction in the t-case that will turn it....
:huh:

The shaft will not turn in 2wd. Ive built/worked on enough of these trucks to know better. Guess I need to hang a video camera to the undercarrage of my truck to prove it.
Ever wonder why there are so many vibe issues with the new body Rams with mild lifts and the older style doesnt?
D shaft spin all the time in the new style because they does not use CAD.

·
MOPAR MAN
80 Posts
Check Your Sway Bar End Links. I Had The Same Sound And Thats What Mine Was.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for the replies everyone. I do have a lift on the truck. I have begin wondering if it might not be a bad hub making those sounds. It all started when I tried to lock it in and take off, you could hear a metal twisting sound and then a pop. I am still leaning towards it being a CV joint but hopefully soon I will have time to pull the tire off and see what is in there. I did crawl under the truck and grabbed the CV axle and tried to move it around and it would not budge at all but yet the drivers side would move around a litte (very little). I dunno

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
What lift are you running?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.