DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my truck lifted and last week i started hearing a poping when i put the transmission from drive to reverse even on level ground, i always set my parking brake on a hill so I'm not putting stress on the transmission linkage so i callled dodge and they said that it might be my U-Joints does anyone have any ideas what this might be?? or should i just roll to a mechanic??

·
Tape On
829 Posts
U-joints are easy to checkout before you need to go deeper.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any ideas on how i can do that with out taking it to a shop?? i have tools and i am some what mechanicaly inclined but if it is fairly invasive i would rather take it to a pro but any help if i can do that my self would be awsome

·
Tape On
829 Posts
Well to give a quick check get under and grab the drive shaft at each end and try to rotate it and move it back and forth and up and down. If they are not solid, that could be your problem. Now, after re-reading your first post, the pinion angle could be off on the rear and/or front differential from doing the lift. That part I am no expert and you would need to consult either the people who lifted your truck or a transmission/ differential shop.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Physically get under the truck while someone goes from park to drive or drive to reverse. Sounds like a pinion angle problem. Be careful! I don't want anyone getting run over!

·
BoJivin'
1,645 Posts
it is most likely your rear driveshaft, look at the rear u-joint on it. Mine just broke today. I heard a popping, but it sounded like it was coming from the front not the rear, but low and behold my u-joint on the zxle end of the drive shaft broke. now I gotta get a new driveshaft, cause it messed it up.. Get it fixed quick and try to get a highangle u-joint or fix the pinion, new driveshaft is about $250.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.