DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this popping sound in my exhaust and i can't put my finger on it. i think that my carb is dirty and next week i'll be taking it apart to clean it but i'm not sure thats the problem. any ideas as to what it could be?
Dan

·
Troubleshooter
1,516 Posts
All that comes to mind for me is Catalytic Converter. I had this problem on my '95 Dak, and am currently having this issue on my '92 Dak. Obviously, I don't know that this is what's causing your problem, but from my experience the new Cat on the '95 cleared it up

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response but i don't actually have a cat on there :) I knew that the sound would get deeper if i took it off so thats what I did. thanks though
Dan

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you can hear it by putting your ear close to the exhaust while it is idleing,it could be a bad valve. That would be a constant pop,pop,pop,..... Have you checked around your manifold/or headers for an exhaust leak? Put a length of hose by your ear and run it slowly around your manifold. It will act like a Dr.'s stethoscope. STAY AWAY from all moving engine parts!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah actually i do have a leak so i'm working on that now.
thanks,
Dan

·
Dodge Ram 2500
12 Posts
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 and I had this popping sound that were really loud and what it was? The Manifold was building up rust and after running it and getting it hot the rust would pop off. I would let my truck set for a few weeks before I would start it up again. I placed my head down closer and I was pecked by rust popping off. This went away after I started using it more often. Hope this can help.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't have rust on mine but its coming out the tailpipe. that's the only place I hear it. it happens all of the time too not just when it hasn't been used in a while.
Thanks though,
Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
flat cam

I have a '92 dodge w150 and when I got it I had a popping in the exaust it turned out to be a flat cam. It would only pop when I kept it at a constant speed not during acceleration. I replaced and tuned every thing before I found it but mine was fuel injected hope it helps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm that is interesting. I put a new cam in there when i rebuilt it about 8 months ago thats weird. thanks though but i'm not going to rip it apart for just that though... not that bad. thanks though that sounds about right with the sound (doesn't happen when its accelerating just constant idol.)
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
could also be a broken valve spring or a bent valve one other thing I freshend my brothers motor up and we didnt redo the heads and compression from the motor ate the gasket out between the two middle cylinders causing a pop it also wore a groove in the block but it was a constant pop also

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah my popping is a random one but always happens when its revving in neutral its just not constant it happens just at random intervals. I just replaced the head gaskets so they're all good still (they were fine before too as i found out when i pulled the heads.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh and what do you mean by a flat cam I've never heard that term before.
Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.