DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed a popping sound that happens whenever you are turning your steering wheel? It happens mainly when i'm slowly turning. Starting to annoy me. Anybody have any idea what it could be?
:help:

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
my old s-10 used to do that, and it was the tie rod

·
Registered
921 Posts
I am having the same problem, kind-of. No-one can really know what it is from a description though....gonna have to take it in, just dont want to...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Balljoint

·
Registered
989 Posts
posibility. should have asked if it was a single pop or mulitple pops. A CV is usually a clicking though. It could also be a tie rod end, or possibly wheel bearings but that is doubtful.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
beandip77 said:
Has anyone else noticed a popping sound that happens whenever you are turning your steering wheel? It happens mainly when i'm slowly turning. Starting to annoy me. Anybody have any idea what it could be?
:help:
YOUR KIDDING RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!?:huh::crazy:

·
Registered
921 Posts
No 4X4 here. It is a sound that I think is almost impossible to describe. Has kind of a whine to it....I'll post when I get time to have it checked out what the problem was.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what your'e thinking S1S. It's just a popping, it's not all the time. When I turn the wheel when i'm pulling out of a parking space or whatever, I hear a pop, sometimes a couple of times. It's weird.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If it is a gen 2 then that is in the stearing columb. I had the same issue and the dealer just packed grease in the columb to stop the noise. Now that was a few years ago, so they may have been able to find the cause.

If it is a 3rd Gen I don't know, mine doesn't do it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know the fix to this problem...I work in a body shop and we've had two 04s do this....Tighten the crap out of your LOWER ball joint nuts..(24mm).(Lwr Control arm-to-knuckle).They dont seem to come very tight from the factory...I just fixed ANOTHER one before lunch...works every time. :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You might also want to jack up the front end and give the wheels a to-fro to see if you have a bad bearing just in case, while its up there, crank it up and turn the wheels to see if its coming from the rack. Some of those have puked in the past especially on '02 models. I noticed mine leaking a little as it gets older. Other than that it will be one of the linkage joint, e.g. balljoint, tie-rod, sway-bushing etc.....I know if the sway is not tightened up, it will give a pop when load is placed on it, the above check will reveal that. When it is in the air, the load on the sway will be equal on both sides, so it shouldnt pop. Goes for most vehicles.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dakota's and Durango's are notorious for making the popping noises. It was their ball joints - undersized (for the truck) non-greasable joints. Could be you are experiencing the same problem.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The factory ball joints are pretty questionable. When I pulled my lower arms off, they felt like they were just flimsy and bleh......like there was nothing to them. Now they have quite a few miles on them so no doubt they were well broken in, but these felt like a hot knife in butter when they moved aroud. I could flip the CA over, and the ball joint would rotate with gravity......both ways.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Mr. S1S checked the front end about a month ago, and the ball joints were fine. Everything seems tight. I will check the rack this afternoon.

·
Registered
218 Posts
be sure to majorly crank on the nuts...this is 3 in a row ive fixed so far...the nuts ARE snug but in order for it not to pop they must be really tight....its the same exact noise you are describing...do this first...

·
Registered
63 Posts
bad lower ball joint, track bar, and/or intermediate steering shaft
loose lower shock bolt :IDEA:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hell, i'll tighten everything!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I assume still got that noise...
try this : Raise the front of the truck tires off the ground and see if you hear it .
If you do let somebody to turn steering , you go under and put your hand over every joint , usually you can fell whit your hand.
Don't forget the U joint on the steering column ( hot environment the grease dries out causing that noise)
Also check the springs whit the truck on the ground , sparay whit WD-40 the bottom and top of each spring (one at the time) try to isolate the problem and deal whit it after you find the hot spot .
:IDEA:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
why thank ya sir!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.