DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to powdercoat a chrome wheel? Will the heat have any ill effects on the chrome plating?

I am considering some black wheels with a chrome lip, but all the wheels I like are solid chrome. So my plan is to buy the chrome one and just powdercoat the spokes black.

Is this possible, or am I asking for trouble?

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Found this on a Google search Matt.
Powder Coating Over Chrome

Q. Can powder be applied directly over chrome or is it best to have the parts stripped of the chrome finish? If it can be applied to the chrome, what is the result of a candy color over the chrome?

Also, I have heard rumors that applying powder to billet wheels will damage the molecular structure of the metal because of the high heat during baking. Is this so? Thank you for your assistance. Thanks for the help. J. S.

A. It's always a pleasure answering questions for "Car Nuts" as I count myself as one too. Nothing beats the odor of gasoline, the smell of burning rubber, the site of grease under your fingernails or an endless supply of car magazines.

Powder coatings have been applied successfully over chrome plating for many years. I recommend that you first neutralize the surface and remove any salts from the plating system by first rinsing the parts in virgin DI water. Of course, don't forget to dry the parts before powder coating.

Your question about "candy color" makes me think that this is a translucent clear color or tinted clear powder coating that you want to apply. It should look fine, but test spray a part to see if you like it. What you will see is some of the shiny chrome passing through a colored lens. If that's what you want, go for it! I suppose it is a matter of taste, and I have been told that I have no taste, so try a tests ample before you commit.

Applying powder coating over billet aluminum will not affect the molecular structure of the aluminum. Remember it's powder coating and not Kryptonite! However, if the aluminum is tempered, then be sure to check with your metal supplier for the maximum oven temperature you can run before you anneal the aluminum. Powder coating aluminum automotive wheels has been done successfully for many years without problems. Good luck and keep on turning those wrenches

Some Yahoo Answers with info:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061111141223AAX3zte

KB

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
Is it possible to powdercoat a chrome wheel? Will the heat have any ill effects on the chrome plating?

I am considering some black wheels with a chrome lip, but all the wheels I like are solid chrome. So my plan is to buy the chrome one and just powdercoat the spokes black.

Is this possible, or am I asking for trouble?
Mat, I have a shop lined up who can POWDER COAT your chrome rims... They take them with tires mounted, remove the tires, Powder Coat, re-mount the tires and Lazar Balance them for only $125.00 each. So you don't need to worry about the local tire store jacking up your rims when the mount them. You will get them back ready to mount!

So it may be a good idea to buy your tires now and have them mount them. I can try to work in some type of discount if they dont need tires mounted or ballanced... but honestly they throw that in for a kicker because its no big deal for them, they charge the same price either way.

I just had mine done and they look freaking SWEET! I'm really impressed with their work. They fix and powder coat Rims... thats their profession, so they specialize in that field!

Let me know if your interested...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AIR_RAM said:
Mat, I have a shop lined up who can POWDER COAT your chrome rims... They take them with tires mounted, remove the tires, Powder Coat, re-mount the tires and Lazar Balance them for only $125.00 each. So you don't need to worry about the local tire store jacking up your rims when the mount them. You will get them back ready to mount!

I just had mine done and they look freaking SWEET! I'm really impressed with their work. They fix and powder coat Rims... thats their profession, so they specialize in that field!

Let me know if your interested...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
I dont have my chrome wheels anymore. I sold them to help pay for the new motor. I am looking to get some new ones though, so they will not have tires mounted when I have them coated. My problem is that I cant find any black wheels that I like with a chrome lip and the right offset...so I will have to improvise...haha

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
I dont have my chrome wheels anymore. I sold them to help pay for the new motor. I am looking to get some new ones though, so they will not have tires mounted when I have them coated. My problem is that I cant find any black wheels that I like with a chrome lip and the right offset...so I will have to improvise...haha
Let me know if you need me to hook you up. They can get them done in a day or two in most cases... they are a 24hr opperation and even had a set of rims completed for us in less then 24 hours before. They may not be able to do that all the time but if they can they will.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AIR_RAM said:
Let me know if you need me to hook you up. They can get them done in a day or two in most cases... they are a 24hr opperation and even had a set of rims completed for us in less then 24 hours before. They may not be able to do that all the time but if they can they will.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
I have 3 sets of 17's in my garage, so I am in no hurry. I would rather they take their time and do it right than rush through it. A local friend of mine has a roomate that does powdercoating, so he was going to do mine very cheap. We can talk more about it when the time comes. I was just curious if it was possible.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
I have 3 sets of 17's in my garage, so I am in no hurry. I would rather they take their time and do it right than rush through it. A local friend of mine has a roomate that does powdercoating, so he was going to do mine very cheap. We can talk more about it when the time comes. I was just curious if it was possible.
Mat, they Powder Coat approximately 300 Rims a day from all over the country... they do not do "RUSH" work, its a fine tuned operation... Rims are 99.9% of their business. They do everything from REPAIR/STRAIGHTEN/BALANCE rims to Powder coating and refinishing Rims, they can also powder coat any metal for that matter but they specialize in RIMS.

They have an assembly line set up where the Rims hang from the ceiling track that moves from Prepping, to Sand blasting, to powder coating, to the oven then to the inspection... I don't run the place so I'm sure there are more steps to it... but its a fine tuned operation and they can do a set of rims in less than a day.... Its Not rushed... because no matter when the start... its still going to take them the same amount of time. Its not one person doing them either... it is in fact an assembly line.

I'm just letting you know you have an option here if you where interested.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats very cool Nick. If the local deal falls through, then you are the first person I will get in touch with.

Is this the same company that coated your last set?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
Thats very cool Nick. If the local deal falls through, then you are the first person I will get in touch with.

Is this the same company that coated your last set?
The last set... If you mean the 22"s I have on the truck now then YES... I dont think you have seen the 22's yet. But the first set (my 20in Boyds) where powder coated by a different shop in Dallas. This new shop is pretty bad ass, They do great work and stand behind it!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
The last set... If you mean the 22"s I have on the truck now then YES... I dont think you have seen the 22's yet. But the first set (my 20in Boyds) where powder coated by a different shop in Dallas. This new shop is pretty bad ass, They do great work and stand behind it!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
got any pics?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I know this is old thread but I wanted to see if anyone had more input on powdercoating chrome wheels! I really in need of new tires and wanted to see if powdercoating chrome is an option while the tires are off! I want them flat/matte black finish. Since dodgetalk has always been a good information site I figured you guys could have some great input!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Come on guys nothing!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I WAS going to get my chrome wheels powder coated, however the color options were rather limited, so I am having mine painted instead. I am working on getting other parts powder coated in the next few weeks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts