DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just wanted to share an expensive lesson I learned the hard way.
My 97 5.9 sport started showing code po740 about 4 months ago. everything seemed fine, shifted great, torque converter locked out fine, it just kept giving me po740 torque converter lockout error. Well I was in denial and did not listen to others who had been through the same problems with there ram trannys. Everything was great up until the very end when the torque converter fins dissintegrated and ran through my engine totally destroying everything. I mean it was shot. My father teaches automotive at a community college so I was able to get it in for a rebuild. even with the hookup it is going to cost me $1000 for all the parts and free labor.
Long story short if I would have replaced some solenoids and possibly the torque converter I might have gotten another 50k out of the tranny.
I knew the trannys were junk and if I took it in early to cottman or some other outfit it would have probably cost me $1000 anyway. I hope the new rams have better trannys because mine was a big dissapointment and money pit.

· Registered
3,452 Posts
Some times it pays to listen. :gr_patrio

· Registered
503 Posts
MoparRocket said:
Everything was great up until the very end when the torque converter fins dissintegrated and ran through my engine totally destroying everything. I mean it was shot. .
It's not possible for a Torque converter to destroy an engine.

· Registered
124 Posts
Exactly... They arnt GREAT trannys... but It just bugs me hardcore when someone says they are junk...

IMHO they work like how a good tranny should, higher stall converter, nice shifts, it changed with the way you drive it...

They are in about the same line with the new silverados trannys, and are better than the new ford truck trannys that ive had encounters with...

some of yall dont seem like youve had too many car troubles in your day...

· Registered
503 Posts
The 46RH/RE isn't known as a great transmission. I personally have had 3 trucks with these transmissions and have to replace only one of them. To me, I'm willing to replace one at 130,000 miles rather than than have a Chevrolet transmission of the same era that lasts 150,000 miles. The reason is performance. The 4L60 in mid to late 90s Chevy trucks was a very durable transmission, However it had problems Chevrolet never addressed like an extremely harsh 1-2 upshift, and other driveability issues. In short, I take the feel and performance of a Chrysler transmission knowing I may have to replace it a little sooner than a poor performing Chevrolet or Ford transmission that may last a little longer.

· Registered
13 Posts
GM's TH400 was a tough tranny. 200k +

Granted my 46RH (1995 ram) tows a 2000lb trailer ever other weeend for a 160 mile round trim and I have 115k miles on it with no problems yet. I change the fluid / filter every 30k miles. I run a 20kw cooler ant the temp when towing never exceeds 200. usually tows at 170 -180 in the hot summers in SC. Normal driving with no trailer runs 140 - 150 degrees

I expect to see 200k miles from the tranny. I dont think they are junk..they just need TLC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.